Maximum Motorsports CC Plate Difference?

carguy96

Established Member
Is there actually a difference between MM CC plates for 99-04 Mustangs and the 03-04 Cobras?
(mmcc9994 vs mmcc0304)
I don’t understand why there would be a significant enough difference to warrant two separate part numbered products.

03' White Snake

Established Member
One comes with dust boots and the other does not. I used GT ones on my car and bought my own dust boots. Maybe get bump stops too. Not sure on that though.

carguy96

Established Member
One comes with dust boots and the other does not. I used GT ones on my car and bought my own dust boots. Maybe get bump stops too. Not sure on that though.
It seems that if my struts are anything but Bilstein or MM race struts, I should use the mmcc9994 ones (the ones I mentioned supposedly have bump stops built in).
No idea what struts the previous owner out in. Guess I’ll get it in the air and see.

03' White Snake

Established Member
It seems that if my struts are anything but Bilstein or MM race struts, I should use the mmcc9994 ones (the ones I mentioned supposedly have bump stops built in).
No idea what struts the previous owner out in. Guess I’ll get it in the air and see.

Correct, both work the same. The dust boots on the 99-04 reuse a hard plastic sleeve though, so if you do not have them then you need to buy shock absorber dust shields anyway.

I'd recommend the cobra kit and buy MM bumpstops for it if running aftermarket struts.

You can Google the part numbers and look at what's in the box to see the difference.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Go to the MM website. They have all details and pictures. If in doubt, order the 9994s.

So based on what i read on MM site the only reason to get the 03-04 cobra CC plate kit is if you are using the stock OEM bilstein struts from the 03-04 cobra. Otherwise go with the 99-04 kit.

carguy96

Established Member
Go to the MM website. They have all details and pictures. If in doubt, order the 9994s.

I am not 100% sure the front struts are Bilstein or not. The previous owner just said “aftermarket”.
Guess I’ll just get the mmcc9994 ones.
Do you have MM CC plates on your car? Do you notice an crazy “clunking” noises that I hear people talking about?

carguy96

Established Member
So based on what i read on MM site the only reason to get the 03-04 cobra CC plate kit is if you are using the stock OEM bilstein struts from the 03-04 cobra. Otherwise go with the 99-04 kit.
I am thinking that as well. Seems like that is what I’m reading anyway.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I am not 100% sure the front struts are Bilstein or not. The previous owner just said “aftermarket”.
Guess I’ll just get the mmcc9994 ones.
Do you have MM CC plates on your car? Do you notice an crazy “clunking” noises that I hear people talking about?
Do not buy anything yet. Go and check the whats on the car 1st. Then go from there.

carguy96

Established Member
Correct, both work the same. The dust boots on the 99-04 reuse a hard plastic sleeve though, so if you do not have them then you need to buy shock absorber dust shields anyway.

I'd recommend the cobra kit and buy MM bumpstops for it if running aftermarket struts.

You can Google the part numbers and look at what's in the box to see the difference.

So the Cobras don’t use a hard plastic sleeve?
Is that what those blue things are in the photos for the 03/04 cobra kit, dust shields?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My other question is, do you actually need new CC plates? Can you not properly align the car? If you currently do not have alignment issues and are not road racing the car there isnt a need to change the CC plates unless your stock ones are worn out.

carguy96

Established Member
Do not buy anything yet. Go and check the whats on the car 1st. Then go from there.
I am attempting to look now and I am having a hard time reading what I’m assuming is a part number. The struts are black in color and can’t really make out what strut model it is.

03' White Snake

Established Member
So the Cobras don’t use a hard plastic sleeve?
Is that what those blue things are in the photos for the 03/04 cobra kit, dust shields?
Correct.

The 99-04 version zip ties the stock plastic shield onto the bump stop. Cobras do not have this from what I remember. I installed mine almost 10 yrs ago.

carguy96

Established Member
My other question is, do you actually need new CC plates? Can you not properly align the car? If you currently do not have alignment issues and are not road racing the car there isnt a need to change the CC plates unless your stock ones are worn out.

The previous owner of my car lowered the car with Eibach springs without CC plates.
You can see that I’ve got some pretty bad camber going on to the point where the inner tread on the front tires is getting worn down a good bit faster than the outside tread.
Car does pull decently to the left now. I asked a show and they said that the car can’t be aligned properly without CC plates.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I am attempting to look now and I am having a hard time reading what I’m assuming is a part number. The struts are black in color and can’t really make out what strut model it is.
So the stock bilstein will be yellow in color with a light blue boot. Post a pic of what you ar seeing so possibly someone can identify what strut they are for you. Based on the color you say which is black im gonna say there not bilstein. But post some pics for us.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The previous owner of my car lowered the car with Eibach springs without CC plates.
You can see that I’ve got some pretty bad camber going on to the point where the inner tread on the front tires is getting worn down a good bit faster than the outside tread.
Car does pull decently to the left now. I asked a show and they said that the car can’t be aligned properly without CC plates.
Have you been to and actual alignment shop that actually knows what they are doing?

The reason i ask is because on both my 03 cobras vert and hard top i ran the Eibach pro kit and ran the stock struts and shocks the stock CC plate and my guy at firestone auto care shop did not have a problem getting the car aligned in spec.

carguy96

Established Member
E8CE4A86-2C7D-4232-B49A-EC87201FD221.jpeg
So the stock bilstein will be yellow in color with a light blue boot. Post a pic of what you ar seeing so possibly someone can identify what strut they are for you. Based on the color you say which is black im gonna say there not bilstein. But post some pics for us.

Here’s what I can see. (I need to get my ramps out of the shed to get my jack under the car)

Attachments

• 47A0BF80-FD1D-4EEC-8FC4-01D669465A5B.jpeg
    47A0BF80-FD1D-4EEC-8FC4-01D669465A5B.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 178

carguy96

Established Member
Have you been to and actual alignment shop that actually knows what they are doing?

The reason i ask is because on both my 03 cobras vert and hard top i ran the Eibach pro kit and ran the stock struts and shocks the stock CC plate and my guy at firestone auto care shop did not have a problem getting the car aligned in spec.

No I have not yet, I was at Ford getting touch up paint and I had asked them about alignment and two techs told me they didn’t think they could do it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
No I have not yet, I was at Ford getting touch up paint and I had asked them about alignment and two techs told me they didn’t think they could do it.
No offense but unfortunately alot of ford techs arent that good especially if its in the tire and lube shop. You really want an alignment pro to look at it and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread