Maxed Out my GT Pumps on E85

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
So i went to get my e85 tune, and the car is getting lean up top @6300 rpms. Is there a direct replacement pump to my Fore Dual GT pump Hat? Im only looking to make 700-750 with my setup, i might add a little more boost (19 psi as of now) but the pumps are limiting me for now, and i hate to buy a new fuel system if i can replace the GT pumps and call it a day. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
the 340 pumps only work in the walbro hat. you can call fore and get the bottom walbro part and put it in with the pumps. you can also add a bap. Im at this point right now and im going return with 3 340s.

04spinbra

Established Member
This is the best I could find! JamesHell has put them on his car and He is maxed out with 2 of them at 580hp on 80% duty cycle!

Compared to a typical 255 at 40 psi, the 340 Stealth Fuel Pump boasts over 30% more flow

fst86410

Established Member
I'll let you know about the three GT pumps in a return set up. My car is at the tuned now. My car has ported heads stage 4 cans, short runner intake, and a f1a and about 20 psi of boost. The fuel is -8 supply and -6 return with 105 injectors. They were supposed to have it done last Thursday. Now they are saying this Thursday. If they get it done I'll let you know.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
I'll let you know about the three GT pumps in a return set up. My car is at the tuned now. My car has ported heads stage 4 cans, short runner intake, and a f1a and about 20 psi of boost. The fuel is -8 supply and -6 return with 105 injectors. They were supposed to have it done last Thursday. Now they are saying this Thursday. If they get it done I'll let you know.

I would really appreciate that, thanks

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You should be able to make over 700 with Twin GT Pumps. You will need the following to make it happen. Fore Hat, Dual FPDM's, Wiring upgrade, Wiring to pumps upgraded, -8 Fuel Line to the rails, 40 Amp BAP set to 50, 80# injectors. If all installed correctly you should only be in the mid 80% range @ 720 RWHP with this setup.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
You should be able to make over 700 with Twin GT Pumps. You will need the following to make it happen. Fore Hat, Dual FPDM's, Wiring upgrade, Wiring to pumps upgraded, -8 Fuel Line to the rails, 40 Amp BAP set to 50, 80# injectors. If all installed correctly you should only be in the mid 80% range @ 720 RWHP with this setup.

I do have ALL those parts, look at my sig in the fuel section, and they are installed correctly. Dennis (ompc) is the only man that touches my car. I think u know who im talking about. You think its my tuner?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I do have ALL those parts, look at my sig in the fuel section, and they are installed correctly. Dennis (ompc) is the only man that touches my car. I think u know who im talking about. You think its my tuner?
Yes I know Dennis. It could possibly be the tune. I have tuned 2 cars with the same set up and both were the same as far as FPDC. Mid 80's% with 22 psi on Whipple 2.3's. Both over 700 RWHP with room to spare.

Big thing is to make sure that the BAP is wired Pre-FPDM and turned all the way up to 50. Not 40 or even 45. It must be turned all the way up to 50. Also the tunes that I did were running elevated base Fuel Pressure to 50 psi in the tune. Without it, the injectors would be over 100%.

The wiring and relay must be up to snuff as well. Any weak link will result in higher FPDC.

Here is how I did my fuel system. (Minus the BAP. I wired that in after)
Few pics of the fuel system.
Fore Hat for Twin GT Pumps. 12 Gauge Tinned Copper Wire running to each pump.
4921430043_3a09ce497f_b.jpg

I wanted to be able to unplug the Hat if I wanted to so I used some industrial deusch connectors for plugs.
4921430215_d20c03e50d_b.jpg

They are extremely durable and weather proof. The terminals are solid and have "0" voltage loss through them.
4921430171_1b8699ea28_b.jpg

4922024956_8c214640fc_b.jpg

Plug used for each pump.
4921430097_4b337f3681_b.jpg

Plug used for the fuel sending unit.
4922024938_c1fbb10fe7_b.jpg

Wires ready to be soldered into the harness.
4922025118_99db952992_b.jpg

I made my own Dual FPDM harness from plugs I bought from Steve @ Tousley Ford.
4921439997_4556bd2fc1_b.jpg

I marked the wires with tape so I knew what was what because all the wires were black. I also removed all the extra wires from the plugs that I did not need.
4922143222_155d1055e1_b.jpg

It easily plugs into the factory harness now and splits out for two FPDM's.
4921440119_b969fa5e2e_b.jpg

I used (1) 50 Amp relay instead of 2 smaller ones to clean things up a bit. I also mounted the other FPDM off the stock bracket next to the stock one. (Here you can also see my Billetflow IRS Brackets as well.)
4922150510_6699219d99_b.jpg

I decided to go with some industrial FC-350 Aeroquip hose. It has an APQ rubber inner hose topped with a stainless steel inner braid covered by a fabric outer braid. Ethanol Compatible is rated "E" for Excellent. The highest rated you can get from Aeroquip. 1250 psi max pressure and 5000 psi burst pressure! It's some HEAVY DUTY stuff! (Thanks Xtremejc!)
4921439953_2ce46e15f0_b.jpg

4921439903_5002db79cc_b.jpg

I also opted for some Eaton Galvanized Steel Industrial Type hose ends. These are EXTREMELY strong and easy to use and reuse if needed. (Thanks Xtremejc!)
4921439779_52aed44675_b.jpg

4921439825_dfa33abf09_b.jpg

I went with a -8 Summit filter with 10 micron paper element and Russell -8 to fuel rail fitting.
4921569841_3f7abd445f_b.jpg

And the Ford GT pumps that I purchased from Steve @ Tousley Ford as well!
4921439855_7edca514cd_b.jpg

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Kevin, thank you for the detailed info. Me and Dennis hooked up the BAP Pre FPDM, and it is set at 50 so i know thats not the issue. When i get home later today ill snap a few pics and post them here, maybe you see something that we missed. If everything its fine (which i believe it is) then i guess ill be looking for a new tuner.

PS. i recently built my motor and went with 9:5:1 compression, so that right there should get me a little more power than a stock motor, and i barely saw 700 with the maxed out pumps (supposibly what my tuner said)

Last edited:

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Kevin, here is my wiring, kinda hard to tell, but follow the wires and see if you find something wrong. I talked to Dennis today to make sure and we did wire in the BAP Pre FPDM.

Picture062-1.gif

Picture063-1.gif

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Kevin, thank you for the detailed info. Me and Dennis hooked up the BAP Pre FPDM, and it is set at 50 so i know thats not the issue. When i get home later today ill snap a few pics and post them here, maybe you see something that we missed. If everything its fine (which i believe it is) then i guess ill be looking for a new tuner.

PS. i recently built my motor and went with 9:5:1 compression, so that right there should get me a little more power than a stock motor, and i barely saw 700 with the maxed out pumps (supposibly what my tuner said)
Who is tuning it?

04Sleeper, why did you use a paper element with E85????? Stainless!
Because I have never had any issues running a paper filter. The paper element is 10 microns and filters out smaller particles. I even ran it for 1 1/2 years on the same filter and it looks as good as it did when I put it in.

Kevin, here is my wiring, kinda hard to tell, but follow the wires and see if you find something wrong. I talked to Dennis today to make sure and we did wire in the BAP Pre FPDM.
Picture062-1.gif

Picture063-1.gif
The wire going to the relay looks like the wire the relay plug comes with. It looks very small.

Also the extra wire wrapped up going to the pumps is not helping either. I'm not sure this is what is going on, but it can't help.

I also solder and heat shrink every connection. Sometimes the butt connectors can have voltage drop as well.

Hope this helps. Kevin

Last edited:

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
So you think if i shorten the wires to the pump it will help? Also, the blue wire on the relay, what size is it supposed to be? That blue wire attaches to the big red wire going to the battery. This is the upgraded wire kit i bought from lethal and it was used.

Lethal Performance FPDM/BAP Wiring Upgrade Kit [LP-BAPREWIRE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
The blue wire is either 14 or 16 gauge. It needs to be upgraded. Most relay plugs don't come with very big wire and need to be changed. You don't really even need a plug, you could always use female connectors and run larger wire.

And the guy tuning my car is Steve Lee, from Thunder Autosports in Boynton Beach
I'm not sure much E85 tuning experience Steve has. I'm just letting you know what I have tuned and experienced.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
The blue wire is either 14 or 16 gauge. It needs to be upgraded. Most relay plugs don't come with very big wire and need to be changed. You don't really even need a plug, you could always use female connectors and run larger wire.

I'm not sure much E85 tuning experience Steve has. I'm just letting you know what I have tuned and experienced.

OK, so what size wire should i use to replace that blue one? 12ga also? Stupid question here, im not really good at electrical stuff, but if i take out that wire from the connector how do i put the new one on? Or do i need to change the whole piece? Im sure Dennis knows what to do, but in case he doesnt i want you to tell me, i dont wanna go to the dyno again and the same thing happens

Users who are viewing this thread