Max hp a 2012 gt500 drive shaft can hold?

sono

Established Member
So I'm happy with where I'm at, and it sticks like glue with the nt05r's.
No drag strip launches in 1st. Just don't want to stick it in second and have bits and peaces of drive shaft all over the road. So yes I can upgrade, but only if its a safety issue. I'm happy with car finally!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Its the violent nature of low 60 foot launches from a prepped dig that kill a drive shaft.

So long as you arent consistently launching from a prepped dig you should be ok at 680.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Reliability is more of a traction issue than a power issue. I think it's a fairly robust piece. Many guys with high hp cars simply break the tire loose. If you're using drag radials and slicks, that's a different animal. It's very heavy compared to aftermarket one-piece units and will destroy your undercarriage if it would ever break, provided you don't have a driveshaft loop. That driveshaft is also the reason the car is speed limited to 155 mph.

sono

Established Member
Good info, it hooks now that's why I'm concerned. Had no idea it was tied to 155mph. I'm thinking it's gotta go then. Not really a luxury item, but more of a weak link. I'll just take it easy until it's replaced.

avgt500

Established Member
I've seen 3 of them break at the track, 2 were just mustang gt's , also seen two carriers lunch, one on a gt500 and one in a gt, this is within the last 2 years.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
One member here, runs 180+mph on the Autobahn with his stock driveshaft. Has anyone verified the shaft is the reason for the 155mph limit? Yes, I know the 2013s came with one piece CF shafts, and a 200+ mph limit.

Users who are viewing this thread