Maverick ST | Thoughts???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
are you saying Ford couldn't upgrade those components and market it as.... an ST?

There is a 600 lb weight difference between the Maverick and Explorer Timberline.. the Ranger 2wd weighs 200 lbs less than the explorer and can tow 7500 lbs.. i get the curb weight comes into play, but Ford definitely has room to bump the towing capacity

That amount of upgrading would essentially make the Mav into another vehicle. Have you seen one from underneath? It's built very lightly compared to an Explorer, and especially a BoF Ranger.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly... Ranger is body on frame and in no way comparable to the maverick. Two different vehicles entirely.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
This might be a double edged sword. Ford, with success, has marketed the truck as a cheap vehicle for what it is and isn't and if it is gets a ST package, it better be worth it to the point of not being thought of as a cheap truck both in price and how it presents itself.

andymarkv

Established Member
I'd be interested...if they can add performance without removing utility.

Honestly, a performance version with hot motor, manual trans & "offroad vibe" would probably sell better than a hot street version.(as long as they don't call it a Maverick Raptor...)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd be interested...if they can add performance without removing utility.

Honestly, a performance version with hot motor, manual trans & "offroad vibe" would probably sell better than a hot street version.(as long as they don't call it a Maverick Raptor...)

I expect to see some form of a Tremor model.

andymarkv

Established Member
I thought this was interesting... If a guy can do a 2.3 swap in his garage, it is obviously feasible for Ford to do it (Although I had to chuckle at the "Cranking it for the first time lit up the Ford's dash like a Times Square marquee, but resetting the truck's CAN bus cleared all the codes", I don't think resetting CAN bus anything is as simple as flipping a switch)

While more displacement would be good, a manual option is where the real fun would enter the picture IMO. But I can't see a business case being strong enough for that investment.
Not to mention, a 2.3/manual Maverick ST would probably cost.....$45-50K? Not sure anyone would want one THAT badly.(Then again...my wife paid $40K for a Focus RS 6 years ago...so maybe?)
I keep thinking a manual Maverick ST would make a great replacement for the wifes RS and give her some utility for her horse stuff.

Engine-Swapped Ford Maverick Proves 2.3L EcoBoost Is ‘Plug and Play’

andymarkv

Established Member
LOL!! I hear ya! Although, with the vast majority of fullsize trucks today being crew cab 5.5' bed...seems like they're all becoming *cars with a bed*, just some have a helluva lot more towing capacity. (Even I caved...I drove reg cab long bed trucks for 19 years, then bought a extended cab in '18 because I couldn't get a reg cab with the options I wanted)

XP900

Established Member
I don't think Ford will ever put a manual or even an engine larger than the Eco 2.0 in this vehicle. I have a 2023 Lariat with 4K AWD and it has more than enough power and pickup with this light vehicle. It's too bad that they didn't push it to 5K towing since 4K is really an oddball amount. Anything that pushes this truck to over 40K is going to price it out of the market fast simply based on comfort, room and features. It's a low end household utility truck and mine averages around 29mpg on country roads and highways. If a Ram limited had that kind of gas mileage the Ram would have been a no brainer but at best 17-18 mpg it isn't practical as a daily runabout for high mileage

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't think Ford will ever put a manual or even an engine larger than the Eco 2.0 in this vehicle. I have a 2023 Lariat with 4K AWD and it has more than enough power and pickup with this light vehicle. It's too bad that they didn't push it to 5K towing since 4K is really an oddball amount. Anything that pushes this truck to over 40K is going to price it out of the market fast simply based on comfort, room and features. It's a low end household utility truck and mine averages around 29mpg on country roads and highways. If a Ram limited had that kind of gas mileage the Ram would have been a no brainer but at best 17-18 mpg it isn't practical as a daily runabout for high mileage

I have a couple more Maverick articles coming out in the next few weeks that mirror your experiences.

andymarkv

Established Member
Don't forget that your Maverick has better a better gear ratio with the 4K, so it probably accelerates slightly better than a vehicle without the tow package.

I seems like an ST version with 2.3(which has been proven to be a direct swap) the lower gears from the 4K tow package and some suspension pieces could make a pretty fun car with minimal investment from Ford

But I agree with you, sales being so strong as they are already, there really isn't a huge need to do anything but sell what they've got. If/when sales relax, I could see them trying to reignite interest with an ST model
Then again...with manufacturing timelines like they are, they probably already made a decision on an ST version 2 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread