Mark VIII motor swap

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
What are your guys opinions on this? I found a few on ebay for around 1k and was wondering if it would be worth buying. What would i need from my cobra motor to make it work?

AaronsP71

Established Member
The Mark VIIIs have the B heads and a different intake. In my eyes that's a downgrade for a 99- 01 Cobra. They also have different cams with shorter duration. Most people only use them for the Teksid block. I'm doing this. I pulled my engine from a 98 LSC and paid around $300 for it. For $1000 I have to assume that the engine is used and for that price $1000 is probably too much. Why are you interested in the swap? Did you blow your short block?

Edit: I just saw your other post. If you can find a Mark VIII I'm pretty sure you can use the short block and save yourself a ton of money. You can find 96-98s at the junk yard that are "totaled" from a side impact collision or a minor front end impact and the engines are fine with 100k or less miles. Keep in mind that they all have automatic transmissions and many where driven by older adults so for the most part I would expect the engines to be in good shape. Mine was in great shape. If you want pictures or specifics about the engine let me know. I'm using 2000 C heads (from a Continental but the same as the 99, 01 Cobras) and a Mach 1 intake so my engines similar to what you will have if you do the short block swap.

Last edited:

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
What are your guys opinions on this? I found a few on ebay for around 1k and was wondering if it would be worth buying. What would i need from my cobra motor to make it work?

ive done this swap in a 2000 gt, and it was not worth the trouble. You have to buy so much cobra stuff it makes it pricy. For a grand it is also overpriced. The teksid block is a nice starting point, but that is the only part I would use

swirk

'00 GT to '01 Cobra swap
Established Member
I did the swap in my 2000 GT, as well. $1k is WAY too much for that motor unless it has extremely low miles. I got mine from a 98 LSC with under 50k on it for $400 at a local salvage yard. I ended up selling off as much of the stock parts as possible and forging the bottom of the motor. The only benefit to buying the Lincoln engine is the Teksid block, like AaronsP71 said.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'm looking for a motor to build completely forged for my 01 cobra when I decide to boost it. I found a guy locally that is selling a 97 markvIII motor complete with tranny and accessories. He is selling for 400.00 should I pick it up for a build and sell what I don't need? I'd like to take it apart to learn a little and then either build it myself or get someone to do so. What can I use from this motor as well? I know the b heads with intake aren't for me but, I could sell them otherwise what else is good on this? Also, the engine has 113,000 miles on it.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds like a good deal if you get the tranny and motor. How many miles are on the motor? I would absolutely make sure there is nothing wrong with it. You could be buying a blown motor.

SilverNotch

Established Member
What can I use on it for my car? I know the b heads and intake wont work but, can sell a lot of these parts off the motor get some of my money back if say I'm just going to use the block? I'm really not sure what I can use besides that.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What can I use on it for my car? I know the b heads and intake wont work but, can sell a lot of these parts off the motor get some of my money back if say I'm just going to use the block? I'm really not sure what I can use besides that.

That's pretty much all you'll be able to use if you're looking to build a forged motor. It might be easier in the long run to track down a bare block and build from there. That way you're not trying to sell off parts.

SilverNotch

Established Member
So the lincolns don't have forged cranks or anything? I kinda want a complete motor to just see the inner workings of these motors. Could I get anything for the heads or other parts? I want to see how everything comes apart to better understand these motors so I want it complete.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So the lincolns don't have forged cranks or anything? I kinda want a complete motor to just see the inner workings of these motors. Could I get anything for the heads or other parts? I want to see how everything comes apart to better understand these motors so I want it complete.

Nope. It's a cast crank. You could get something for the heads since they're the same as the Cobra heads. But I don't know how the market is where you are. Around here not many people are buying car parts. Unless it's something stupid cheap.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Haha he wants you to buy a 03/04 Cobra instead of spending money of another motor.

quikcobra

Established Member
For $1000 its about 600 over priced for a long block IMO. I have heard the early mark viii's had some oiling issues compared to the later engines. Not worth it unless you have a V6 or GT and are on a massive budget.

Users who are viewing this thread