Mark VIII Engine Going Into 98 Cobra

96GT226410

Established Member
My 98 Cobra spun a rod bearing and I just came across a good deal on a 95 Mark VIII engine. I'll keep my stock engine for a future forged rebuild. Anyway, I plan on using the Cobra cams, upper and lower intake, and the IMRC's (I don't want to delete them right now). Should I use my Cobra heads also, or are they the same as the Lincoln heads? Will the FRPP shortys work from the Cobra on the Lincoln heads? I remember something was different on the Lincoln heads, something about the shape of the ports. I bought a 11" Spec clutch and aluminum flywheel for the Cobra so I know I need a new 6 bolt flywheel, any recommendations? I think the flywheel will work with 10.5" or 11" clutches, is that right? Anyway, I figure there have been some of you guys who have done this swap and could help me out. Thanks.

96GT226410

Established Member
I found out that the springs are weaker on the earlier Mark VIII engines. The one I'm buying is from a 95 so I'll just reuse the compete heads from my 98 Cobra. I found a flywheel from an 04 GT that's 6 bolt and for an 11" clutch so I'll use that.

I'm also not going to degree the stock cams. Too much for me and not enough info on it.

Last edited:

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Any other tips on this swap for us guys who are looking into the mark8 swap? NA-SVT told me to make sure I use the Cobra intake cams and oil pan.

850SNCobra

Established Member
I've been looking for a spare engine for mine for when my current engine decides to let go. I went to the junkyard this past weekend and found a great looking 95 MarVIII, got the plug covers off it, but I'm thinking about going back to get the entire engine.

Do these Mark VIII engines make a good starting point if I want to start a small engine build to get close or a little above that NA SVT 350RWHP goal?

96GT226410

Established Member
I've been looking for a spare engine for mine for when my current engine decides to let go. I went to the junkyard this past weekend and found a great looking 95 MarVIII, got the plug covers off it, but I'm thinking about going back to get the entire engine.

Do these Mark VIII engines make a good starting point if I want to start a small engine build to get close or a little above that NA SVT 350RWHP goal?
A 95 Mark VIII engine is very similar to the 96 - 98 Cobra's. Performance differences are the Mark VIII crank is a 6 bolt steel where the Cobra is an 8 bolt forged, the Mark VIII valve springs aren't as good as the beehive springs found on the Cobra's, depending on the year the Mark VIII oil pump pickup tube isn't the same diameter, the Cobra oil pan holds more oil, and exhaust manifolds aren't as free flowing on the Mark VIII.

*Edit: Obviously the cams aren't the same, the Cobra cams are better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

850SNCobra

Established Member
A 95 Mark VIII engine is very similar to the 96 - 98 Cobra's. Performance differences are the Mark VIII crank is a 6 bolt steel where the Cobra is an 8 bolt forged, the Mark VIII valve springs aren't as good as the beehive springs found on the Cobra's, depending on the year the Mark VIII oil pump pickup tube isn't the same diameter, the Cobra oil pan holds more oil, and exhaust manifolds aren't as free flowing on the Mark VIII.

Thanks!
Sounds like if I can score the motor and then source a cobra crank and cobra valve springs I can swap them onto the MarkVIII engine, all of the parts you mentioned are easily replaceable with the correct ones that are similar to what's on my current cobra engine correct? If that's the case, I'm gonna make a move on trying to get that engine this weekend.

96GT226410

Established Member
Thanks!
Sounds like if I can score the motor and then source a cobra crank and cobra valve springs I can swap them onto the MarkVIII engine, all of the parts you mentioned are easily replaceable with the correct ones that are similar to what's on my current cobra engine correct? If that's the case, I'm gonna make a move on trying to get that engine this weekend.
You don't need a Cobra crank. If you're going to replace the crank you might as well get a forged rotating assembly. If you have your stock B cams and springs you can just swap those on. If you want more power get a custom set of cams from Todd Warren and a new set of valve springs. Yeah, the parts are easily swapped. Might as well get a new timing set, oil pump, and a seal/gasket kit.

850SNCobra

Established Member
You don't need a Cobra crank. If you're going to replace the crank you might as well get a forged rotating assembly. If you have your stock B cams and springs you can just swap those on. If you want more power get a custom set of cams from Todd Warren and a new set of valve springs. Yeah, the parts are easily swapped. Might as well get a new timing set, oil pump, and a seal/gasket kit.

Perfect, that's exactly what I figured would be the case. thanks for the help!

I guess I'll go this weekend to see about getting it, assuming nothing major is wrong with it.

Anything I need to be on the lookout for when pulling an engine from a junkyard? The engine was super clean when I pulled the valve covers, no oil residue anywhere, so doesn't look like it had been leaking oil or fluids, inside of the car was immaculate as well for a junkyard car. I really appreciate ya for taking the time to answer my questions too!

96GT226410

Established Member
Perfect, that's exactly what I figured would be the case. thanks for the help!

I guess I'll go this weekend to see about getting it, assuming nothing major is wrong with it.

Anything I need to be on the lookout for when pulling an engine from a junkyard? The engine was super clean when I pulled the valve covers, no oil residue anywhere, so doesn't look like it had been leaking oil or fluids, inside of the car was immaculate as well for a junkyard car. I really appreciate ya for taking the time to answer my questions too!
Nothing special when pulling the engine. Good luck with your project.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Mark Engine is a Cobra engine with a Mark intake, Mark cams and cast crank. A few other little Mark things like the pan/pickup which is specific to the chassis. 96-98 Mark should have the same beehive springs too. Crank is a non-issue. People get all spun up about it because of all the bad info on the internet. Cast crank is super strong, you aren't going to break one unless you are approaching 4 figure power and shifting over 7k. And its lighter too.

For a JY engine? If you pulled the covers and it looks super clean then roll with it. That's what I did with my JY engine and I shift the thing routinlely at 7200 with no issues lol.

For the Mark engine, if if has beehive springs just leave the springs. If not then get a set of Brian Tooley springs. Swap over your Cobra Pan, pickup, intake cams and exhaust manifolds. Clean the IMRCs if you still have them. Drop it in.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Mark Engine is a Cobra engine with a Mark intake, Mark cams and cast crank. A few other little Mark things like the pan/pickup which is specific to the chassis. 96-98 Mark should have the same beehive springs too. Crank is a non-issue. People get all spun up about it because of all the bad info on the internet. Cast crank is super strong, you aren't going to break one unless you are approaching 4 figure power and shifting over 7k. And its lighter too.

For a JY engine? If you pulled the covers and it looks super clean then roll with it. That's what I did with my JY engine and I shift the thing routinlely at 7200 with no issues lol.

For the Mark engine, if if has beehive springs just leave the springs. If not then get a set of Brian Tooley springs. Swap over your Cobra Pan, pickup, intake cams and exhaust manifolds. Clean the IMRCs if you still have them. Drop it in.

Thanks for the info scotty! That's some good information to know.
I am super excited to go back and pull it. If I can go pick it up this weekend I will definitely be starting a build thread lol.

Users who are viewing this thread