mark VIII 03 Cobra swap

phreakness

Established Member
02SILVERBULLET said:
hey phreakness what will you be doing for a computer, you cant use the cobra one cuz it dosent have the tune to run an auto correct? and the mark comp cant run the boosted motor to full potental right? sick idea though my dad and i should have gone with a cobra motor when we put the mark 8 motor in his 93 crown vic! but it runs ok for a big a- car

You cant look at it as a mark VIII with an 03 cobra motor you have to look at it as the mark VIII engine with a blower.

There are plenty of guys running 500+ hp on the stock mark VIII computer. you just have to give the computer everything it wants at the the time it expects it. this computer can go even higher if needed. the question is where is the point that putting high HP in a car that weighs 4400 Lbs.

You are correct the cobra computer doesnt have the tables for an auto trans.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
haha your right the vic its one heavy car but makes for a hell of a sleeper and the long ass wheelbase makes for some bada$$ power slides haha but hey the 8 is no lightweight either no?

phreakness

Established Member
Update

The pictures speak for themselves

Img_0533e.jpg

Img_0534e.jpg
Img_0537e.jpg

Img_0538e.jpg

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
phreakness said:
I got it from a wreck in idaho back in june of last year.

It would be awesome to shoehorn a T-56 in there.
My lady is drooling. Ten years ago when I owned my '96 black/saddle cobra she owned a '93 MkVIII, I told her I'd love to stuff some snake parts underneath the hood.
You go...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Fdawg97lx said:
awesome. thats gonna be a bad ass sleeper. will the stock hood fit?
Frank
Ditto... Is the hood going to clear??? The 97/98 hood is taller than the older ones...(different intake)

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I love those cars!!! They haul a$$ STOCK!!! Amazing from a 30mph roll punch!!!

Last edited:

Nvp1986

Established Member
phreakness said:
the mark was the first car with the DOHC 4V, first with the 4R70W, first Modular motor with a factory blower (test mule for what is now known as the 03 cobra motor), first domestic car with HID's, first domestic with active supension, etc. etc. etc.

I think the first domestic with an active suspension was the 1987-88 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe. While the Turbocoupes suspension was not air. It has electric actuators on the shocks that will change the stiffness of the shocks when you go over a certain speed, go to WOT, or go around a turn hard enough.

Nvp1986

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Ditto... Is the hood going to clear??? The 97/98 hood is taller than the older ones...(different intake)

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I love those cars!!! They haul a$$ STOCK!!! Amazing from a 30mph roll punch!!!

Don't forget that it feels equally good from a 65 mph punch! :)

Nvp1986

Established Member
This is a good read about the 1993 Mark VIII that Lincoln tested at Bonneville. Just to show the potential the engine had. They made the car slightly more aerodynamic with wheels and removing the mirrors and possibly some other small improvements. However, on the stock engine the car managed a 2 way avg speed of 181.171 mph. It set the land speed record for it's class at that time.

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/bonneville.htm

Oh and I think that car you are building is gunna be sweet. Definately gunna be one hell of a sleeper.

Last edited:

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Nice. My dad is shoving a Mark VIII engine in his 51' ford coupe 2 door. Engine looks good with an oldschool oval air filter over it.

Users who are viewing this thread