Mark 8 cooling fan upgrade

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
I'm sure there's a post about it on another forum. That's where I saw it, I figured having it on the one speed (aka high) would work just fine.

ok, so you have it running single?
ive seen where others have just wired the OEM fan pigtail to the Mark Viii via joining the high & low wires all together and then going in the tune and putting the high and low set points at the same temp

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ok, so you have it running single?
ive seen where others have just wired the OEM fan pigtail to the Mark Viii via joining the high & low wires all together and then going in the tune and putting the high and low set points at the same temp

thats what we did with mine, havent seen any problems so far

MalcolmV8

Established Member
IMO there's no need for dual speed. I tied both wires together as a single feed to the Mark 8 fan and set both high and low speed temps in the tune the same.

Banshee06

Established Member
IMO there's no need for dual speed. I tied both wires together as a single feed to the Mark 8 fan and set both high and low speed temps in the tune the same.

How did this Mark Viii fan work for you?
Would putting the Mark fan and motor into the Cobra shroud work and wiring the same since I have the 93 fan with three wires?

Natedogg1701

How did this Mark Viii fan work for you?
Would putting the Mark fan and motor into the Cobra shroud work and wiring the same since I have the 93 fan with three wires?

Resurrecting an old thread yes I know.

I too have seen this brought up, putting the Mark viii motor/blade in the mustang open style shroud, however I've seen no posted results.

At lower speeds or sitting still it would obviously lose some flow due to the open shroud, however at over double the cfm I still think it would make a difference. While driving I would think the open shroud would do better no? Was it ever confirmed if the Ecu shuts the fan off after a certain speed...?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Resurrecting an old thread yes I know.

I too have seen this brought up, putting the Mark viii motor/blade in the mustang open style shroud, however I've seen no posted results.

At lower speeds or sitting still it would obviously lose some flow due to the open shroud, however at over double the cfm I still think it would make a difference. While driving I would think the open shroud would do better no? Was it ever confirmed if the Ecu shuts the fan off after a certain speed...?

Yes really old thread lol. I see no point in loosing the shroud. Even the most powerful fans are worthless without a shroud.

As for mph, a stock tune turns the fan off at 50 mph and back on at 48 mph. Your tuner could change that.

Natedogg1701

Yes really old thread lol. I see no point in loosing the shroud. Even the most powerful fans are worthless without a shroud.

As for mph, a stock tune turns the fan off at 50 mph and back on at 48 mph. Your tuner could change that.

I've always been curious why Ford decided to go with an open shroud in 97. I may try it both ways, but because I'm difficult, I have a 95 fan kicking around, I'll probably put the mark viii motor and fan blade in that shroud so it's still a drop in replacement and I don't have to modify the mark viii shroud or anything to mount it.

As far as wiring goes, Idk if anyone knows this but tieing both low and high together does nothing to alleviate current draw. The EDF and HEDF relays in the ccrm are both fed from the same 50A fused power wire coming from the main fuse panel. I'll be keeping low and high speed function when I do mine.

Malcolm have you done away with your temperature issues since putting the TVS on? I too have a 2.9 whipple and I'm chasing some less than desirable Temps right now, it's been about 80-85 degrees and humid up here in Mass lately.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've always been curious why Ford decided to go with an open shroud in 97. I may try it both ways, but because I'm difficult, I have a 95 fan kicking around, I'll probably put the mark viii motor and fan blade in that shroud so it's still a drop in replacement and I don't have to modify the mark viii shroud or anything to mount it.

As far as wiring goes, Idk if anyone knows this but tieing both low and high together does nothing to alleviate current draw. The EDF and HEDF relays in the ccrm are both fed from the same 50A fused power wire coming from the main fuse panel. I'll be keeping low and high speed function when I do mine.

Malcolm have you done away with your temperature issues since putting the TVS on? I too have a 2.9 whipple and I'm chasing some less than desirable Temps right now, it's been about 80-85 degrees and humid up here in Mass lately.

Low and high speed tying together comes from not over powering individual relays or circuits, not so much the main 50 amp feeding them both.

What temp issues are you referring to with regards to TVS and Whipple? Sorry thread is 4 years old, a lot has changed many times over since then.

Natedogg1701

Low and high speed tying together comes from not over powering individual relays or circuits, not so much the main 50 amp feeding them both.

What temp issues are you referring to with regards to TVS and Whipple? Sorry thread is 4 years old, a lot has changed many times over since then.

Sorry lol. You were having cooling and lower pulley issues with your 2.9. Since going to the TVS have both gone away?

I'm also curious, when the AC comes on doesn't it only command the high speed relay? If so and no issues arise, like over drawing on a single relay, then I should be fine with maintaining the separate speeds correct?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sorry lol. You were having cooling and lower pulley issues with your 2.9. Since going to the TVS have both gone away?

I'm also curious, when the AC comes on doesn't it only command the high speed relay? If so and no issues arise, like over drawing on a single relay, then I should be fine with maintaining the separate speeds correct?

No pulley issues since ditching the 2.9 for the 2.3.

You can likely run separate speeds. I was just telling you why people were tying the two together.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This fan is on my 90 coupe. I just replaced the motor and the connector again. I guess Ford has a recall. Connector can melt a cause a fire. Mine melted twice in the year I've owned this car.

Ford has a circuit breaker that goes in between.
82ff9e18a12702f52224e9eba343304c.jpg
ea33d8ec20d0263bc6d617136105a397.jpg
eb56952056154dfb8c03183ee3503def.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

GodStang

Established Member
I actually plan to attempt this one again. First time it would not fit do to aftermarket radiator thickness. I have since bought a Crossover delete which should give me more room.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I actually plan to attempt this one again. First time it would not fit do to aftermarket radiator thickness. I have since bought a Crossover delete which should give me more room.

I had to trim the shroud down on my setup, probably lost a little flow but hopefully not too much

Users who are viewing this thread