March damper and pulleys VS other brands, whats best.

FIREBALL

Established Member
The Nasvt recipe calls for March damper and pulleys. Im confused about exactly what pulley and damper, which ones to get and how they compare to the other brands that are out there. Does the March fluid damper benefit N/A motors. Seems I have read other post where you have to watch out for the water pump turning too slow. I never thought it was any big deal to order one of the pulley kits but now Ive gotten a little confused. They would be for my NA motor, need some experienced advice.

shurur

Established Member
That march pulley set is a copy of the Ford pullies used on the 2000R Corba; this includes the 4" alternator pulley as well. You don't need to worry.
The March Fluid damper is good to 7K RPM. Any RPM past that you are looking at Innovation West...

PM na svt or join his facebook site.
NA SVT Camshafts, Modular Tech Group Public Group | Facebook

March 1158-08 UDP
March 640-08 PS
March 1172 WP (March 2252 for 1996-99)

The OEM belt length you have now will work with this pulley combo as well.

Additional underdrive alternator pulleys not included in the recipe:
[OEM size is 2.375”]
March 116-08 4"
Speed Concepts: 3.2”;2.7”
A new belt length will be needed to add these pulleys

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
OK, thanks for reply, but are the March pulleys any better than the other pulley kits available and why?
What benefit does the fluid damper give for mostly a stock NA motor?

shurur

Established Member
OK, thanks for reply, but are the March pulleys any better than the other pulley kits available and why?
What benefit does the fluid damper give for mostly a stock NA motor?

I think it is mainly the smaller size and the fact that the weight is centered close to the block, rather than hanging off the pulley like the steeda piggy back UDP is.

The Steeda piggy back UDP is still just as good as the March.

The other pulleys themselves that are the same diameter as the march set would be fine as well.

There is a no name copy of the March fluid UDP out there that na svt told me stay clear of.

Sorry I cant help you more.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Yeah I was reading about the ATI damper last night, much debate whether a fluid damper or ATI is better, but it seems the general consensus is that the ATI is more dependable and is what all of nascar uses. Very expensive though.
If I go with a under drive pulley kit, right now im leaning towards the Steeda, it seems to be a quality moderately priced kit and is SFI approved (probably cause its steel) with many good reviews.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Yeah I was reading about the ATI damper last night, much debate whether a fluid damper or ATI is better, but it seems the general consensus is that the ATI is more dependable and is what all of nascar uses. Very expensive though.
If I go with a under drive pulley kit, right now im leaning towards the Steeda, it seems to be a quality moderately priced kit and is SFI approved (probably cause its steel) with many good reviews.

I would love to see a before and after dyno on your same car.
There is so much confusion about this mod, because folks compare the mod with different cars or combine mods and try to explain how much the UDP/pulleys contributed.

I plan to implement the na svt recipe as well...and dyno each mod at $80 a pop..

Kelly is up on blocks now waiting for a new hydroboost to go in..no dash (snapped off the evap hose attachment), needing new AC comp and AC lines...etc, etc..

Meanwhile the Audi and G35 coupe keep wanting some attention, derailing my efforts to get Kelly going.

The extra BR is a parts room right now...and Mustang seats are LR furniture...

Users who are viewing this thread