Manual transmission rough shifting...

TheDraftsman

Hi, I'm new here. Hoping to get some advice and opinions on what the issue might be with my transmission. My knowledge is limited. I learn things as I go, and this is my first manual car with its first tranny issue.

2013 Mustang 3.7, MT-82 Manual. Stock. 88k miles.

Problem:

Over the past 6 months, shifting between gears has gotten less smooth. Just generally rough. It's a feeling as if the clutch may not be completely disengaging. Is this what people refer to as "notchy"? Very slight grinding and resistance before going into gear.

History:

I had a similar feeling over a year ago when I discovered that the brake fluid reservoir was almost empty. It turned out that the clutch master cylinder was leaking. So I refilled the reservoir and it shifted like new. I waited a few months and the shifting slowly got worse. Then I finally got around to replacing the clutch master cylinder hoping that it would fix the issue, but it did not. I've also done a fluid change with the prescribed Motorcraft fluid and XL-18 friction modifier. After that the shifting was actually better for a few days, but of course now it's back to the rough shifts.

Possible causes?

Bad clutch slave
Pressure plate bolts backing out
Still air in the brake/clutch system (even after multiple bleed attempts with vacuum pump)
Bad synchros?
_______ Other?

I like to try and plan as best I can, and do most of the work myself if possible.

However there is a transmission at a salvage yard near me for about $500 with 35k on it. I'm wondering if it's worth it to just pick that up. I'm guessing that most transmission repairs done by a shop will cost me at least that amount.

Any input is appreciated

paulyboy928

Established Member
Clutch, trans fluid, mgw shifter, and ss clutch line. If that doesn't fix your problems then you're having trans issues. Ask me how I know, lol

Users who are viewing this thread