Manual steering/brakes

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Looking for some insight on parts used or if anyone has a good write up with a parts list to convert to manual brakes and steering. I’m in the middle of a turbo swap and while the motor is being built looking to clean up the engine bay. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm not sure how much of a write up you need. For the steering part it's just a matter of removing the rack and hoses and installing a manual rack.

Flaming River Manual Steering Rack, Standard ratio, 1994-04 Mustang

The brake side is pretty similar. You'll need to make sure the master cylinder is sized correctly or you'll have to push really hard. You also need to change the pedal ratio to make up for the lack of power assist. Maximum Motorsports sells a kit, but you could just redrill the hole in the stock brake pedal.

1-1/16" 1994-95 GT master cyl.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Big parts are easy I was looking more for the little stuff like what size are the brake line fittings needed the plug size to eliminate the stock proportioning valve stuff to just save time if while doing the install. A full parts list would be helpful. I should have been more specific.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SteedaGT

Keebler Racing
Established Member
Also subscribing to this. Wonder how they are on the street with wider fronts on. I put all of 400 miles on my car last year, but when on the street, I don’t run the skinnies.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It might be worth reaching out to Maximum as it looks like they have a lot of the parts for the manual brake stuff, but for the older cars. They might be able to tell you if it'll work with your car.

keith89

Established Member
been flamed many times for running manual brakes and steering but it works for me. I'm running a 15/16" wilwood master cylinder with proportioning valve. I had to modify my pedal by moving it down in the pedal box and raising the pin that activates the master cylinder. I did a lot of math to figure out the correct pedal ratio and master cylinder size based on the effective caliper piston area I am running. I also used a brake pressure gauge to verify I am able to produce adequarte line pressure with the foot brake. I have great pedal modulation and can still lock all 4 tires. If i ran the 1-1/8" master cylinder that most places sell as manual brake "kits", i would not be able to stop without standing on the pedal. Bigger master cylinder = less line pressure for a given pressure on the pedal. In this case, bigger is often not better.

I did score a 600 series tilton floor mounted pedal box that i am planning out at the moment. This will provide even better pedal feel because when i was measuring brake pressure with the gauge on the master cylinder, I noticed the firewall flexing a bit and would like to avoid that.

as for manual steering, i do recommend going with a flaming river rack and choose the ratio depending on your usage. I run road courses and the occasional street with 275's on all 4 corners so I chose a 20:1(standard ratio) flaming river rack and its perfect for me even with my scrawny arms. Its a bit tough at low speed but once you're moving its not an issue. If you plan to run skinnies up front, you can probably get away with a 15:1 rack.

A must is the MM solid steering shaft for the flaming river rack. The flaming river rack has a splined input so the stock rack or regular MM solid rack will not fit. Also, with the flaming river rack, you will need 79-93 tie rod ends because the threads are different. I went with MM's 79-93 bumpsteer kit for this.

keith89

Established Member
I don't recall. It was a good amount off the front of the car as I removed the abs as well. I would guess at least 30-40lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread