Manslaughter or self-defense??

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
He was there to pick up his son I believe. They had joined custody I think. So he had every expectation and right to go to the front door and pick up his son. Ex wife and stepdad are wrong here from the looks of it. But the father should have left when the other guy came out with a gun.

But if someone tells you to leave their property, and in so breaking that agreement, then it is automatically a legal issue and police and the courts need to be involved. Fighting the other parent isn't going to help your case, just jeopardize it.

rborden

Established Member
Those were my exact thoughts but talking with a coworker he pointed out there was no need to involve a gun in the first place. There was never a threat of physical violence from the dad towards the step dad . The step dad never felt his life way in danger to get deadly force.

The situation did not escalate until the stepdad decided to bring deadly force into the situation. It seems the correct thing to do when he went into the house was to actually call the police which it did not seem that the dad would’ve had a problem with since he said he had already called the police

I remember the Joe Horn case where the grand jury refused to true bill him for shooting and killing a pair of burglar’s on his lawn who broke into his neighbor’s house that he went and confronted.

The thing to remember here is the step-father is at his home, he has no duty to retreat and he can defend his home with a gun if he chooses, even if you or anyone else doesn’t think it was necessary.

I’m not sure what was with firing the warning shot at his feet. But once the other guy tried to take the firearm that was it. I’m curious to see what happens with this, but I’d bet no charges will be filed.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Some random thoughts:
1. Reed wasn't some intruder. He is a known acquintance.
2. Who knows what happened or what was said prior to filming.
3. Was the shooters life in danger prior to him "standing his ground". I'm leanding towards no.
4. Reed was an idiot for not leaving when the other guy came out with a gun. Too much pride there or some shit. Could of used that to his advantage in the court system in regards to custody.
5. Felt like the gunowner found a good excuse to kill Reed.
6. Both sides should of difused the situation. Called 911 to remove the father/to get the son for custody.

quad

Established Member
Some random thoughts:
1. Reed wasn't some intruder. He is a known acquintance.
2. Who knows what happened or what was said prior to filming.
3. Was the shooters life in danger prior to him "standing his ground". I'm leanding towards no.
4. Reed was an idiot for not leaving when the other guy came out with a gun. Too much pride there or some shit. Could of used that to his advantage in the court system in regards to custody.
5. Felt like the gunowner found a good excuse to kill Reed.
6. Both sides should of difused the situation. Called 911 to remove the father/to get the son for custody.
His last name spelling is actually Read. I agree he was not some random dude. He was the father of the ex-wife's children and had a legitimate reason to be there.

Bringing out a gun and shooting him after he was justifiably upset about them jerking him around with his visitation rights was completely inappropriate and unnecessary. A simple apology and correction of the problem would have probably sufficed to diffuse the situation. This guy and the ex-wife should serve some prison time IMO.

Read made a big mistake though to grab the gun. But he was clearly not thinking straight after being enraged by the whole situation. Who doesn't lose their cool when jerked around by someone else?

The children will probably despise the ex and the shooter, who's still married to a judge btw, for the rest of their lives. Was the ex-wife the shooter's mistress? The whole thing is a bit unclear at this point.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
His last name spelling is actually Read. I agree he was not some random dude. He was the father of the ex-wife's children and had a legitimate reason to be there.

Bringing out a gun and shooting him after he was justifiably upset about them jerking him around with his visitation rights was completely inappropriate and unnecessary. A simple apology and correction of the problem would have probably sufficed to diffuse the situation. This guy and the ex-wife should serve some prison time IMO.

Read made a big mistake though to grab the gun. But he was clearly not thinking straight after being enraged by the whole situation. Who doesn't lose their cool when jerked around by someone else?

The children will probably despise the ex and the shooter, who's still married to a judge btw, for the rest of their lives. Was the ex-wife the shooter's mistress? The whole thing is a bit unclear at this point.

you sound like a leftist democuck.... making apologies for the biggest offender....
everything that was going on before became totally irrelevant the moment he assaulted the home owner while trying disarm him.... lol

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
i dunno, if im arguing with someone and they go in the house to get a weapon and then exit his house while im in his property and tells me to leave, im going to leave. thats just not the time to try and be billy badass, he turned in to billy deadass pretty quick. if you grab someones gun while theyre holding it, that becomes self defense right away imo.

the worst part about it is that none of that had to happen. that was a pissing match gone wrong.

But honestly the father’s reaction is something I feel like we are seeing in many aspects of society. Like an “I dare you”. He had to know he had the potential of being shot and wanted to see if he could push the envelope. I feel like a good portion of people almost dare people to react to them. Whether it be asshole drivers, people who think they are billy badass, criminals, etc… like people are daring others to hit them in some way shape or form.

I think CoVid Derangement Syndrome is the new Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'd say neither, that looks like 2nd degree murder to me. He didn't need to introduce the gun to the argument, he just made things worse.

I think in most cases, with two people that can't settle disagreements in a civil manner, you would punch each other in the face, swear a bunch and be on your way.

There's a time and place for a firearm, this wasn't one of them.

The problem is, this is one of those cases where laws are all that matters. Just like someone could say Kyle was an idiot for open carrying a AR, it seems that was legal.

From comments elsewhere regarding this case, I've seen it said that brandishing a weapon on your own property is legal. So he can be stupid for going and getting the gun, but it's legal.

quad

Established Member
you sound like a leftist democuck.... making apologies for the biggest offender....
everything that was going on before became totally irrelevant the moment he assaulted the home owner while trying disarm him.... lol
The twink was a pussy for running to get his gun when there were no signs of the dead guy getting physical. I am guessing he is going to have to watch his back from now on.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The twink was a pussy for running to get his gun when there were no signs of the dead guy getting physical. I am guessing he is going to have to watch his back from now on.

dont really give a shit about either guy there.... don’t know enough details to care... maybe the dad was a stellar fellow... or maybe he was a bully... all I know is who had the biggest lapse in judgement, which was paid for with his life.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel sorry for the kid. You moms boyfriend or whatever just smoked your dad…that kid will be ****ed for the rest of his life.

About 8 years ago I went through something very similar with my ex-wife keeping my daughter from me. This went on for almost a year. I would go down on my weekends to pick her up and have a door slammed in my face by her then step-dad. I’d call the cops every single time and file a report, to the point the cops literally got tired of me calling but wouldn’t do anything since they rarely, if ever, get involved in civil matters.

I had a lawyer keep telling me to be the bigger man, a couple close friends that always said, just say when, and an amazing girlfriend who always let me know she had my bail money ready.

Once I got to where I couldn’t take it anymore (and was literally having homicidal ideations) I met with my lawyer and told him if I didn’t get to see my daughter the next time I went down there, that I was going to beat him within inches of his life, probably in his living room after I kicked the door in.

His response was, well what good is that going to do?

I told him, well for starters I’ll feel a shitload better, and secondly, I promise he’ll never **** with me ever again.

Luckily they called and set up my visitation a couple days later and it didn’t come to that.

Point being…we don’t know how long this guys been putting up with this shit from his Ex-wife and her new man. We don’t know if dead guy already beat his ass once and he was scared for his life. We don’t know the back story.

I’d love to agree that I would leave if someone pulled a gun, but I’m not so sure I would when I’m there fighting to see my kiddo.

My ex-wife’s, new ex husband is/was a little bitch. To the point he would literally shake when I was around after all this. Had he pulled a gun, I could definitely see myself taking it from him in the moment. Thankful I never had to find that out, wouldn’t have ended good either way.

While terrible, that sounds nothing like this situation.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Its tough, irresponsible decisions that cost a life on both parts. That man brought out lethal force when that man didnt actually show any real hostility, he feels like he was posturing. The bigger guy, he tried to call that bluff and continued to get hostile with the smaller man... if he didn't think it was a bluff he would have tried to gain control of the weapon, instead he just barked at him and got rowdy.
The confrontation escalated and when the bigger man grabbed the weapon he kind of asked for it. Its really tough because he is an irresponsible gun owner in my opinion, nobody needed to die. I'd like to see him pauy, but I'm also afraid of the message it sends if he does... at the end of the day, big dude tried to call his bluff and that is what got him shot. He played a stupid game with a stupid man and got the stupid prize. Shooter reluctantly walks in my book.

quad

Established Member
dont really give a shit about either guy there.... don’t know enough details to care... maybe the dad was a stellar fellow... or maybe he was a bully... all I know is who had the biggest lapse in judgement, which was paid for with his life.
Yes agreed. This will also be a lesson for others. If someone brings a gun out leave!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
A whole lot of dumb in this situation. But the most disturbing part for me was how the new wife of the father never really changed emotion in her voice while her husband was being fired upon and bleeding out. No yells or cries. No begging to stop. Just a steady video and blaming the whole incident on the boyfriend.

Machdup1

Established Member
When someone has a gun, don’t try and attack them. So the dead guy is an idiot and it is good that he is dead.

The shooter broke contact and returned with a gun and used it to violate a court order (transfer of children at a certain time). So he is an idiot, but it would be better if he was dead too.

The wife was using the children as weapons to hurt her ex. So she is an idiot and, yep, you guessed it, it would be better if she was dead.

Come on Karma, you are only one for three, do the right thing and make this a clean sweep.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
A whole lot of dumb in this situation. But the most disturbing part for me was how the new wife of the father never really changed emotion in her voice while her husband was being fired upon and bleeding out. No yells or cries. No begging to stop. Just a steady video and blaming the whole incident on the boyfriend.

Agreed.

Almost felt staged when that happened. The smaller guy waiving his finger, no change in voice from the wife/screaming etc.
Just something to the effect of "I got that on camera" and telling someone else to call 911

Maybe the dude had a nice life insurance payout?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Yep. Same thing I thought... no emotion what so ever from neither one of the females. Guy, I expect it from. No shits given. But from the females, that was really odd.

The only thing I can think of is the woman being too dumb/ignorant to realize the seriousness of what just had happened....

but no, I think maybe old boy was not going to really be missed by either of them.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t know the back story and don’t really care. From the video, looked like SD to me. Dad should of bounced when he found out his kids were not there and handle it through the court.

Side note: If you are going to grab someones gun, don’t let go and assume that its a fight to death and should be treated as such. Dad passively grabbed the gun which is why he is dead. That and ego.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread