Manslaughter or self-defense??

kaz109

Established Member
That's terrible.

The dad was in the wrong as soon as he said he was going to take the gun and use it against him. The step dad will get off.
Those were my exact thoughts but talking with a coworker he pointed out there was no need to involve a gun in the first place. There was never a threat of physical violence from the dad towards the step dad . The step dad never felt his life way in danger to get deadly force.

The situation did not escalate until the stepdad decided to bring deadly force into the situation. It seems the correct thing to do when he went into the house was to actually call the police which it did not seem that the dad would’ve had a problem with since he said he had already called the police

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those were my exact thoughts but talking with a coworker he pointed out there was no need to involve a gun in the first place. There was never a threat of physical violence from the dad towards the step dad . The step dad never felt his life way in danger to get deadly force.

Depends on the state, but Castle Law would come into affect.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Geez. Without all the facts. It’s hard telling. I don’t see where the dad was being a imminent threat till the gun was involved. But he was warned to get off the property. It’s not clear but appears to be the moms property? I’m not sure of the laws in TX but in NC self defense laws are a little tricky when it’s known family or friends are involved.

kaz109

Established Member
It’s hard to see citizens law being used because there was no intruder breaking into a home. From the sound of it it was either the mom’s house or the step dads house where the mom lived so the dad would have every right to be there to pick up his son.

Either way it’s a sad situation all around. You wouldn’t be able to tell that though as the woman filming and the shooter seems to be unfazed

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
It does appear a bit strange to me too. Almost looks staged in my opinion. But you never know. And why bring out the rifle, instead of a handgun? The dad was a bit bigger and could of easily over powered him. Either way, it is unfortunate.

MFE

Established Member

The situation did not escalate until the stepdad decided to bring deadly force into the situation. It seems the correct thing to do when he went into the house was to actually call the police which it did not seem that the dad would’ve had a problem with since he said he had already called the police
Dad was told to GTFO off the property several times. And it' Texas.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
In Texas that is probably self defense. He told him to leave his property and the dad refused and was getting combative. He didn't walk out shooting and used the gun as a show of force in which the dad then escalated the situation with physical contact. The main issue is that it is on the shooters property. If the dad and step mom had an issue then they should have called police and had them resolve the issue. If this was in my state though I wouldn't be analyzing it in this way whatsoever.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Geez. Without all the facts. It’s hard telling. I don’t see where the dad was being a imminent threat till the gun was involved. But he was warned to get off the property. It’s not clear but appears to be the moms property? I’m not sure of the laws in TX but in NC self defense laws are a little tricky when it’s known family or friends are involved.
Oh they are going to get a colonoscopy on this one…

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
I'd say neither, that looks like 2nd degree murder to me. He didn't need to introduce the gun to the argument, he just made things worse.

I think in most cases, with two people that can't settle disagreements in a civil manner, you would punch each other in the face, swear a bunch and be on your way.

There's a time and place for a firearm, this wasn't one of them.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
That is sad in so many ways.

I think it will be next to impossible to convict the shooter of anything because you need Everyone on a jury to agree in order to get a conviction, and I just don't see that happening.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Found this:

Also found these comments:

I looked into and read more about this story, and the Ex wife most definitely set this up, she had an affair with the shooter as well, and knew that the father was supposed to have the kid by 3:15 knowing he would flip, gave the current bf the perfect opportunity to kill this guy, didn’t even try to call 911 just wanted him to bleed out, even one of the kids spoke out saying the shooting was the mothers fault, Google the name of the shooter and read on it, be careful who you have kids with smh

Chris Read isn’t charging at Kyle Carruth, he isn’t attempting to enter the house. Kyle Carruth didn’t use a firearm as a deterrent, he used it as an accelerator and his actions immediately after the shooting display an aspect of premeditation. He clearly anticipated the result. After Chris Read pushes Kyle Carruth back, he lets go of the rifle breaking shared possession. Kyle Carruth clearly takes the time to calmly take aim and essentially execute Chris Read.

I mean, it does make you think.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
We also don’t know what the previous interactions and/or altercations were with all parties involved. Definitely going to be a legal shit show though.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Self defense all day long. You don’t get to come into another man’s property, start acting all rambunctious, make threats and put hands on the man while he has repeatedly asked you to leave.

trespasser threatened home owner, advanced on him, made threats, put hands on him and his rifle... done son!

Likely a liberal ******. Thought it be a good idea to **** around, but instead found out.

kaz109

Established Member
Self defense all day long. You don’t get to come into another man’s property, start acting all rambunctious, make threats and put hands on the man while he has repeatedly asked you to leave.

trespasser threatened home owner, advanced on him, made threats, put hands on him and his rifle... done son!

Likely a liberal ******. Thought it be a good idea to **** around, but instead found out.
If that is what his ex wife lives he has every right to be that at the appointed time to pick up his son as he explained in the video. He wasn’t just there “ trespassing acting rambunctious “ . You can clearly here him having a dispute with his ex wife and didn’t threaten nor talk to the step dad until the step dad escalated the situation by going to get a rifle.

From that point yes you have a case to make of self-defense, but to ignore everything before that is naive

Users who are viewing this thread