Man In Wheelchair Brandishing Knife Shot 9 Times

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So, according to liberal "logic", yeah I know, we should treat everyone the same. So why does someone in a wheelchair deserve to be treated differently than someone who isn't?
Because being in a Wheel Chair inhibits capability. Plus both cops unloaded on him from each side behind him. How do you justify that?

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
This happened where I live and people are diving deep into this story. No doubt that cop was rightfully fired and will end up in prison but check out this guys rap sheet. I think the officers knew who he was when they were responding to the call

Richards' has a long criminal history going back to the 80s.

According to court records, he was sentenced to 10 years in 2007 for first-degree attempted murder, aggravated assault and resisting arrest for crimes that took place in the 90s.

Records show he was released in 2018 but then was jailed again in 2019 for "transporting illegal aliens for profit" after being stopped by Border Patrol in Nogales.

Just found these in public court records too:

11/2015 Failure to Appear
6/2018 Drug Possession
7/2018 Theft/Failure to Appear
1/2019 Drug Possession/Failure to Appear

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
So, according to liberal "logic", yeah I know, we should treat everyone the same. So why does someone in a wheelchair deserve to be treated differently than someone who isn't?
tricky situation because as mentioned - how handicapped is he? If you make the assumption he has very limited use of his legs then his ability to charge and maneuver after you with a knife is significantly reduced compared to an able bodied person but how do you bet yours - or someone else's life on that assumption

Cant watch the video at the moment - are there 2 cops - one in front and one behind? The blurb I saw made it out that the officer shot him 9 times in the back

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
This happened where I live and people are diving deep into this story. No doubt that cop was rightfully fired and will end up in prison but check out this guys rap sheet. I think the officers knew who he was when they were responding to the call

Just found these in public court records too:

11/2015 Failure to Appear
6/2018 Drug Possession
7/2018 Theft/Failure to Appear
1/2019 Drug Possession/Failure to Appear
So petty crimes. Not even felony charges. Lol.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Kind of a tough situation but if he pulled a knife and from the video it looked like he was heading back into the store, he is a threat to patrons and could have stabbed that woman. Who knows if the guy was paralyzed? There is a homeless camp near my work and I see several different people using that wheelchair a day in order to panhandle and then when their shift is over they walk to the hotel down the street.

quad

Established Member
Lol at the cop trying to handcuff the dead guy to make it look more legit like he was a threat. This cop wasted no time shooting the guy in the wheelchair multiple times from behind. I support cops but this was completely unnecessary. Good luck with pound me in the ass prison.

quad

Established Member
Kind of a tough situation but if he pulled a knife and from the video it looked like he was heading back into the store, he is a threat to patrons and could have stabbed that woman. Who knows if the guy was paralyzed? There is a homeless camp near my work and I see several different people using that wheelchair a day in order to panhandle and then when their shift is over they walk to the hotel down the street.
Yes that's a good point. If he had a frail lower body with signs of muscle atrophy it would be easier to determine if he was really disabled or not - can't tell in the video. Why not just shoot the knife out of his hand? He's not moving that fast and there would be time for that? Also the cops could have yelled at people to run away. The Lowe's girl should have removed herself from the situation sooner.

Wheelchair guy should have complied though. Why risk suicide by cop?! Unless he wanted that.

quad

Established Member
Because being in a Wheel Chair inhibits capability. Plus both cops unloaded on him from each side behind him. How do you justify that?
I thought it was only the male cop that shot the victim. Not the female cop.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes that's a good point. If he had a frail lower body with signs of muscle atrophy it would be easier to determine if he was really disabled or not - can't tell in the video. Why not just shoot the knife out of his hand? He's not moving that fast and there would be time for that? Also the cops could have yelled at people to run away. The Lowe's girl should have removed herself from the situation sooner.

Wheelchair guy should have complied though. Why risk suicide by cop?! Unless he wanted that.
People freeze in situations like that, I remember when I was a kid there was a raid on the neighbors house. Apparently it was a drug bust, anyway the cops came and I was outside playing and just froze. It may have been suicide by cop, just a crappy situation for all involved.

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
Lol at the cop trying to handcuff the dead guy to make it look more legit like he was a threat. This cop wasted no time shooting the guy in the wheelchair multiple times from behind. I support cops but this was completely unnecessary. Good luck with pound me in the ass prison.
Handcuffing the dead guy was great theatre, dude was dead before he hit the ground, poor SOB.

Also, nice Office Space reference.

MG0h3

Established Member
Now THAT’S a party!

**** wheel chair guy for pulling a knife, no shits given. Cop is a retard tho, he also managed to kill his career and future.....

Edit: I think cop should have tried some other method or escalation of force before he dove head first into lethal force.

PIT maneuver. The dude is basically in a vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member

That’s training.

We can’t pronounce people dead. Nor do we know if the subject is actually down for good.

jacker1991

Established Member
God dam!!!!
Straight up execution style. Stopped for a sec and gave him one last shot just to make sure. :(

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Yeah, I read that yesterday on Fox News, as well. Watching the video, and knowing he had a knife but no gun, it would seem that this didn't have to end like it did. I get that he was trying to go back into the store to perhaps attack employees (??), but those are details we don't know. That store employee frozen at the entry point was in his path so maybe he would have tried to attack her. ?? But he is restricted to the wheel chair. He cannot stand, walk or run. Maybe Brett or another LEO (or former) here can voice their opinion on this one. Wonder why they didn't try to disable the wheelchair or pin it until they could use a stun gun or mace on him. ??? Or just use a stun gun or mace as soon as he turned around to head back to the store entrance.

The guy was 100% wrong in not complying with the officers, but dang, I just don't see why deadly force was needed. That is probably why the officer who shot him was fired. A quick firing like that would seem to point to him recklessly not adhering to established protocol. ??

I hope a LEO or former LEO can comment.

Someone else asked if LE gets training dealing with handicap subjects as well.

Answer for my Agency is no and to be honest, Ive never really gone over this scenario in my head before.

Possible that we don’t get training in this by design; use of force is the same.

Another thing this video brings to light is dealing with a seated subject. We are trained to shoot to stop the threat of death or imminent life threatening injury to self or others.

This is typically judged when a standing or advancing subject hits the ground. With a seated subject, that’s going to be a little different.

I know I would’ve been wondering if he was actually handicapped as 9/10 street people I see are faking it. Just saw one today actually.

Some comments were made RE clubbing him in the head or some other mode of force. We get run through many scenarios RE folks with knives and it’s a deadly force encounter, end of story. We just got shown a video of a female officer tazing a subject that was advancing with a knife. He fought through it and got his hands on her and was slashing her. Second officer used his service weapon but he was lucky not to have hit her in my opinion.

The wheelchair def throws a curveball into it.

We also get drilled on how much trouble we can get in if we strike a subject in the head with the baton; only authorized in a deadly force encounter. Absolutely are not trained to grab a 2x4 from the lumber dept and smoke the guy with it or anything.

The one thing they appeared to have was a lot of time. Could they have used a service vehicle to pin the wheelchair? I don’t know. If he gets hurt, you’re in trouble. You might be able to get away with it if ramming him occurred right at the moment where injury/death was imminent to self or others as ramming people is deadly force as well.

Now I’m going to be going over how to handle a bum in a wheelchair with a knife at every stoplight.

Users who are viewing this thread