mahle pistons

D.T.R

Established Member
stretchb just wondering, how come you are going with Mahle pistons? seems like a lot of people around here frown upon them.

twistedneck

Established Member
All the negative comments I have read came from people selling 2618 pistons...

can you elaborate? i'm about to purchase 2618 12.5:1 pistons from Mahle. These gusy make some amazing pistons and the rings are a bit thicker than the super thin Manley rings. Not sure good or bad, what have you heard? they weigh about 380gms. that's on par with other well built strong pistons.

CSG

Established Member
can you elaborate? i'm about to purchase 2618 12.5:1 pistons from Mahle. These gusy make some amazing pistons and the rings are a bit thicker than the super thin Manley rings. Not sure good or bad, what have you heard? they weigh about 380gms. that's on par with other well built strong pistons.

The only negatives I have ever heard were regarding the 4032 pistons like are normally found in the Aluminator. They were just the normal comparisons of 4032 vs 2618 and it was basically a sell job to not buy an Aluminator. Both materials have their place. As far as Mahle in general I have no real personal experience but I would not hesitate to run some.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have run and sold both pistons over the years, the mahle skirts are the thinnest on the market, we feel they are okay for n/a and low boost but there are certainly stronger options out there. The other problem is the 4032 material, 4032 is chosen by OE manufactures because of its low thermal expansion rate (keeps the engine quieter on cold starts and reduces emissions on cold starts), the problem is that the temperature that a 4032 piston begins to fail a 2618 piston continues to expand.

www.modularmotorsportsracing.com

Users who are viewing this thread