Magnum XL issues

lenny127

Established Member
Just fishing for any relevant info . New magnum xl swap bought through JPC . Went in couple months ago when the mt82 went bye bye .

Nothing crazy 700/565 14 blower/e85 daily and sees a decent amount of abuse .

2nd gear synchros going bad , never powershifted but shifted 1-2 at full rpm 7500 sure , plenty of hard driving .

So ... called Tremec yesterday , pointed towards TOB needing shimming maybe , RXT discs being too large in diameter and not optimal for high rpm ... I just listen .

Anyone have any similar experience ? Gonna drop trans and kind of don’t just want to replace parts for this to happen all over again.

Warranty work is pointless shipping will cost more so I’m looking for best solution not free stuff .

Thanks for any input . Car is a keeper so whatever it takes gets done

clinton2003

Established Member
have you called JPC and asked them? with how many of the swaps they sell, i would think they would have some experience with it if its common.

I assume kit came with TOB and everything. instructions say to shim? can always get some puddy and put on TOB and mount trans, suck it up with 2 bolts, then take back out and see what kind of gap it has. what does Tremec/Mcleod say the distance should be from TOB to pressure plate?

kinda sounds like tremec was trying to pass the blame to me.... iirc it seems the t56/6060 design always had a little weird issue with 1-2, but not entirely sure.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Just fishing for any relevant info . New magnum xl swap bought through JPC . Went in couple months ago when the mt82 went bye bye .

Nothing crazy 700/565 14 blower/e85 daily and sees a decent amount of abuse .

2nd gear synchros going bad , never powershifted but shifted 1-2 at full rpm 7500 sure , plenty of hard driving .

So ... called Tremec yesterday , pointed towards TOB needing shimming maybe , RXT discs being too large in diameter and not optimal for high rpm ... I just listen .

Anyone have any similar experience ? Gonna drop trans and kind of don’t just want to replace parts for this to happen all over again.

Warranty work is pointless shipping will cost more so I’m looking for best solution not free stuff .

Thanks for any input . Car is a keeper so whatever it takes gets done

Strange, I’m running a tremec magnum xl with rxt 1200. No, shims except on the starter. Is it grinding on shift or especially notchy. I know my second and 3 can be pretty rough when it’s not warm but I’ll attribute that to the fluid I’m running. Smooth as butter when warm

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Strange, I’m running a tremec magnum xl with rxt 1200. No, shims except on the starter. Is it grinding on shift or especially notchy. I know my second and 3 can be pretty rough when it’s not warm but I’ll attribute that to the fluid I’m running. Smooth as butter when warm....

I also have Magnum XL, with McCleod RXT twin-disc 1000. Same issues with notchy cold shifting, but once warm it's basically perfect, so long as I make sure to depress clutch to the floor when shifting.

I've been driving stick shift cars with heavy single-disc clutches for 40+ years, but this is first twin-disc clutch I've ever owned. It takes some getting used to, and is not as forgiving as a single-disc clutch for speed (or power) shifting. I can easily see how a twin-disc setup (if really pushed hard) can cause more wear to a trans than single-disc clutch.

lenny127

Established Member
Trans is out , taking it to local place to upgrade synchro to full carbon and bronze pads . Few people have stated this trans runs a bit hot and could use a pump and cooler so might add that .

Will check clutch clearances and make sure everything it could be is addressed

Thanks guys .

GapRider

Established Member
I just did the Magnum XL swap with RST clutch. I did take measurements for TOB clearance. It was 3 1/8” from bell housing face to clutch fingers and 2 1/16” from trans mounting face to compressed TOB. Quicktime bell housing. That’s 1 1/16” so I had a 0.580” TOB shim made so my slave cylinder wouldn’t reach end of stroke. The shim has no effect on the stroke travel of the TOB bearing though, it just positions the TOB in a useable range so it neither bottoms out when retracted nor maxes out when extended (clutch pedal all the way down). I guess it is possible you are maxing out the slave cylinder before it fully disengages the clutch but it seems like you’d end up blowing the slave cylinder if that were happening.

Users who are viewing this thread