Magnum transmission install problems with clutch and blown slave cylinder twice

mhyjek

Established Member
So I had a tremec conversion installed with spec twin disc clutch, JPC clutch line and the 1st time I picked up the car the clutch would make a noise during the last inch of pedal engagement. I chalked it up to twin disc and the plates rattling but after 500 miles driving 300 of highway and 150 rural 50 city the slave broke and pissed fluid. The shop stood behind work and said even thought the slave was new it could be defective and they would replace on them. So now I get the car towed back to them and they get a new slave put it in they took it for a ride and 20 minutes this time slave went again! Now I'm not a mechanic nor claim to be but I'm trying to trouble shoot what is the reason for the slave to break twice. The shop wants me to talk to tremec which I will but I think it has to be the clutch or shimming for slave. I've read other treads on Magnum installs and watched the JPC one online and I didn't see any shimming needed but they weren't using a spec. So what are your guys thoughts? I'm not looking to throw the shop under the bus and bashing the brand and type of clutch won't solve my problem looking for people who did the install and learning from their experience. Thanks

mhyjek

Established Member
He used a new OEM ford 2011+ for the 1st install then used OEM older version as per JPC for the second time around. Can it be that I got two defective ones in a row? The clutch worked well on both installs per engagement and feel but did make noise per when the pedal was depressed but went away after the clutch was fully to the floor.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have a magnum with a spec 3+ clutch no issues, i have a new stock slave in mine. I have over 3k miles on it. Jpc installed it no shims, engages fine no noise, grabs great under load.... I have heard good things about the exedy slave, its suppose to be better then the stock slave i'd check that out. Maybe the pressure plate fingers on your dual disc are to firm for just a stock slave. If so You should upgrade!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I have not seen a stock slave cylinder go out. I have heard of a lot of people running the stock ones and having no issues. Don't know why the t56 magnum trans would have a affect on it.

mhyjek

Established Member
I think the issue is the twin disc being thicker in dimension causing the slave to not fully extend which is increasing the internal pressure blowing the diaphragm. Hopefully will find out today talked to liberty on Saturday have a call and email to JPC regarding the line and hopefully they can give me some insight as well on the twin disc. My installer has an email and call to his spec rep as well. Thanks for the input Blazer and blackbeast! Hopefully get the car back this week and put some miles on it and hit the track by month's end. Looking to get a 10 slip with mph in 133-135 mph range!

86merc

Established Member
The 2005+ hydraulic set up has been know to have failures. My 2011 had a failure last fall. I replaced it with a OEM unit and a couple months later I had more issues. It is at Ford right now. The mechanic took it for a test drive and believes it is the same failure. I will find out next week when they get it apart.

draxxus131

Established Member
My guess would be the spacer(s) if not done properly as you said will blow out the diaphragm on the slave.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
My guess would be the spacer(s) if not done properly as you said will blow out the diaphragm on the slave.

Yeah if you put spacers on with the stock slave thats your issue. Magnums and stock slaves do not take spacers at all! The only time you would use a spacer in a magnum is if you use the 2013/2014 gt-500 slave which is a smaller unit then the stock slave!

mhyjek

Established Member
Yeah if you put spacers on with the stock slave thats your issue. Magnums and stock slaves do not take spacers at all! The only time you would use a spacer in a magnum is if you use the 2013/2014 gt-500 slave which is a smaller unit then the stock slave!
With my spec dual disc might be gt500 flywheel setup we are doing measurements this week to find out there seams to be a issue with part#s of what we ordered vs what shipped so we will get to the bottom of it this week. Can't wait to get her back and enjoy all the beautiful weather we had in NJ lately. I will update as soon as we find out what is the case. Thanks for all the input

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Update the latest edition of Mustangs and fast fords magazine has a tremec install with a ram twin disc that ran into the same issue your having...check it out!!!!!

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
Update the latest edition of Mustangs and fast fords magazine has a tremor install with a ram twin disc that ran into the same issue your having...check it out!!!!!
Do you have a link to it? Thanks for the help!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Actually no but getting the correct measurements which is what your going to be doing, will get it fixed. The only unfortunate thing is you will have to drop the tranny a few times to get it right. They had and issue with clearances because of the sheer size of the ram twin disc, and no doubt the spec twin is just as big. They had remove 0.2 inches of material from the trans collar to get it to fit so the clutch would disengage properly!

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
Actually no but getting the correct measurements which is what your going to be doing, will get it fixed. The only unfortunate thing is you will have to drop the tranny a few times to get it right. They had and issue with clearances because of the sheer size of the ram twin disc, and no doubt the spec twin is just as big. They had remove 0.2 inches of material from the trans collar to get it to fit so the clutch would disengage properly!
Yeah I got the article but it looks to be a fox body swap since they took out a 5 speed Tremec and put in a Magnum but not the XL. What was cool was it was done by Drew from AED.

Users who are viewing this thread