Magnum Opus : 2012 Mustang GT Magnuson Supercharger Install

Mus35th

Established Member
That is a very easy S/C install!

Yea, I can see the Roush airbox being an excellent solution.

I really like how it fits like factory and I actually ended up making a few more HP with it over a Steeda on my friends car with an identical tune and supporting mods. Go figure.

stang8psi

Established Member
That is a very easy S/C install!

Yea, I can see the Roush airbox being an excellent solution.

I really like how it fits like factory and I actually ended up making a few more HP with it over a Steeda on my friends car with an identical tune and supporting mods. Go figure.

Same here.. I put down in the 420 N/A SAE corrected in april with the Roush CAI, 3" O/R-X, flowmaster hushpower axleback. A car with a Jlt, off road H and gt500 mufflers and bama tune didn't even break the 400 rwhp mark the same day right after my dyno pulls.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
smallest intercooler tank ever.

and I called magnuson about a TVS style unit for our lightnings and they said no :(

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
awsome write up and like the fact that its pretty much a direct bolt-on compared to the roush....but in all honesty the im a back yard mech. and mine was easy to install but i do like the fact that there is no harness pinning with this

Thanks. I wouldn't say that the pinning require with the Roush is difficult, but it was a step I was glad to skip.

so would a roush CAI work on this setup since it fits and goes in the stock airbox location? and has an open air setup to help it breathe easier?

If you're talking about this Roush CAI it would probably fit:

Mustang Cold Air Intake Kit (2010-2012)

The problem is that kit doesn't increase the diameter of the MAF housing, which is where the problem lies.

Does the belt run of the front or rear of the oem crank pulley?

The kit comes with a longer belt that just replaces the stock belt and rides in the stock location.

Wow, impressive! Great choice!

Great write-up and pics. But where's the torque at? Even the supplier claims gains of 120hp and 120tq.

Intake problems my friend. Wait until next week.

sweet, congrats. an as always another write up

smallest intercooler tank ever.

and I called magnuson about a TVS style unit for our lightnings and they said no :(

No kidding. I wouldn't mind replacing it with a bigger one.

Sadly, the Lightning is pretty much a dead market. Hell, even stock parts are getting hard to come by for it.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
That is just awesome! Any idea on what additional height this added to the motor? Looking at this for a 67 coyote swap so hood clearances may be different.

MAGNUSON

Established Member
Don't worry, this article is just the beginning.
Next week SVTP will release an article with 'more MAGNUSON power...'

65fastback2+2

Established Member
No kidding. I wouldn't mind replacing it with a bigger one.

Sadly, the Lightning is pretty much a dead market. Hell, even stock parts are getting hard to come by for it.

i wouldnt say its completely dead. shoot, theres 30+ lightnings in my KY lightning group alone that would love a TVS based blower. We're all still on eatons. And we'd all like another option besides whipple or kb.

thats why people have gone to making adapter plates for GT500 blowers for us. Its the $700 adapter plate thats keeping those from becoming a very popular swap for us.

in fact, if you take a look at user statistics...the lightning community is growing.

LR Fact:

Most users ever online was 1,329, 06-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I can assure you it is not pegged. The tooner is the problem there.

The sensor itself wasn't the issue. As I mentioned earlier, it was the velocity of the air passing over it due to the small diameter stock housing. Simple hardware limitation.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i wouldnt say its completely dead. shoot, theres 30+ lightnings in my KY lightning group alone that would love a TVS based blower. We're all still on eatons. And we'd all like another option besides whipple or kb.

thats why people have gone to making adapter plates for GT500 blowers for us. Its the $700 adapter plate thats keeping those from becoming a very popular swap for us.

in fact, if you take a look at user statistics...the lightning community is growing.

LR Fact:

Most users ever online was 1,329, 06-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Unfortunately though, it's a dead platform. The the number of trucks is very small, making the market very limited. For the price of a TVS blower swap, figure $2800-3200, you're damn near twin-screw territory. Believe me, I'd love to see one as an option. I have an old 2.3KB on my truck and it was a very simply yet very effective upgrade. If anyone is going to make a TVS upgrade it will probably be VMP.

ZWilson07

Established Member
How come you went with a K&N drop in filter?

Especially after your testing with it, I figured that would be the last thing you would choose?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
How come you went with a K&N drop in filter?

Especially after your testing with it, I figured that would be the last thing you would choose?

We wanted to use the kit just as it came out of the box. You'll see an update of the K&N filter test article Friday.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread