Magnum Leaking from Main Housing to Tailshaft Housing

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Has anyone had this issue before? I just got it installed last night and there is a puddle under the car this morning. It appears to be coming from where the main housing meets the tail shaft housing.

cj428mach

Established Member
There was a post just a month or so ago about some Magnums having issues with the tail housing seal. I think you could call Tremec and give them the transmission serial number and they could look it up. I believe some people said the tail housing was even cast wrong.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I have to ship it to tremec and wait for them to fix it, hopefully less than 2-3 weeks, but I'm sure it will be more. I'm really upset that I didn't just have gforce build me a t56 at this point.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have to ship it to tremec and wait for them to fix it, hopefully less than 2-3 weeks, but I'm sure it will be more. I'm really upset that I didn't just have gforce build me a t56 at this point.

The Magnum has 15% wider gears than a T56, unless you find a way to put Magnum gears put in the T56, the Magnum will always be superior.

cj428mach

Established Member
I can understand your frustration but the added strength of the t56 Magnum will be worth it. You're probably not to far behind me in power and this is what happened to 3rd gear in my car.
icnry0.jpg

dvlc78.jpg

I was just cruising in 3rd around 40mph and mashed the throttle on a cold winter night. The car started pulling for a split second and then boom.

I thought about rebuilding the T56 but there's nothing to prevent this from happening again (unless I dialed back the power) so I just went Magnum. The wider gears being able to spread the load out really appealed to me as I felt it might stop this from happening again.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Gforce can rebuild them with all new gear sets. I honestly don't know how you did that! My old car was over 800rwtq on a nitrous hit with plenty of abuse and I never had a problem with the stock gear sets. After reading about all of the leaking magnums, and going through my own major leak that's not a simple fix, I'll never recommend them.

And I'm definitely beyond frustrated! They will have the trans for 2 weeks (at least) per them, plus shipping there and back, which puts me back yet another month (the first month was do to waiting on a driveshaft, which was nice and worth the wait). They also "might" refund money for extra fluids and if I brought it to a shop to take the trans out and put back in, they also "might" reimburse some of the cost. For such a big company, I'm unable to understand why I can't give them the payment for a new trans, have them ship it out, and then I ship back my leaking POS trans to get the money refunded (or if it's anything other than what I say it is, they can charge me). This would put me back a couple days rather than a month. It's very frustrating to have the car down for a year, but some things just aren't under my control I guess.

50stangpower

Established Member
Well next time listen to everyone and just have one built local to you so you can personally take it up with them if you have any issues. Your around a lot of top notch trans shops.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Well next time listen to everyone and just have one built local to you so you can personally take it up with them if you have any issues. Your around a lot of top notch trans shops.

The second that I walked in to GForce's building (to sell them my old broken T-56), I knew that I made a mistake going with the Magnum. However, the majority of people on these forums said go with the Magnum.

"wider gear sets"
"stronger stock than the most built t56"
"shifts better than a t56 no matter what"
etc etc

Hopefully future people go with the minority opinion of getting a trans built from a local reputable shop!

The sad part is that I wouldn't be so bitter if they would send me out a new trans ASAP and have me send mine back (again, with payment until mine is returned). It wouldn't be an issue. I'd deal with and be happy. But now I'm down for another month.

So here is my 2 mile old $3000+ Tremec Magnum. (And NO Customer Service/Warranty people, that's not "red sealer that is used during assembly".
posmagnum.jpg

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't even had oil in mine yet, wonder what serial#s are affected. project car taken too long to get done

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I haven't even had oil in mine yet, wonder what serial#s are affected. project car taken too long to get done

Mine is apparently a 2016 date. If you get a newer one, the tailshaft seal might leak. I'd rather a newer one with a simple tail shaft seal leak and a simple fix. This one, I don't know if the housing is cast wrong, or they just forgot? to put sealant between the cases, or even just torqued wrong. It could be really simple, or it could be unfixable with whats there.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I got mine last summer from D&D, its in the car but no fluids have been added to the motor or trans yet

50stangpower

Established Member
The second that I walked in to GForce's building (to sell them my old broken T-56), I knew that I made a mistake going with the Magnum. However, the majority of people on these forums said go with the Magnum.

"wider gear sets"
"stronger stock than the most built t56"
"shifts better than a t56 no matter what"
etc etc

Hopefully future people go with the minority opinion of getting a trans built from a local reputable shop!

The sad part is that I wouldn't be so bitter if they would send me out a new trans ASAP and have me send mine back (again, with payment until mine is returned). It wouldn't be an issue. I'd deal with and be happy. But now I'm down for another month.

So here is my 2 mile old $3000+ Tremec Magnum. (And NO Customer Service/Warranty people, that's not "red sealer that is used during assembly".
View attachment 379179

It's all good man, I feel for you. I would be phased at tremmec too. I would be calling amd raising hell. Maybe even file with my credot card company as well. Then just go to hanlon or gforce. Both great companys.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
How hard is it to pull the tail housong off amd add some RTV? Or if you touch it you good the warranty?

It wouldn't be hard at all to do, but the warranty is completely out the window if I do that. And again, if it weren't for reading about the casting possibly being messed up, I would try it, but if the housing is out of spec and it leaks anyway, I'm screwed.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
It's been almost exactly a month and I FINALLY GOT MY TRANS BACK AND PUT IT IN THE CAR LAST NIGHT!

Unfortunately, they didn't fix the ****ing leak. Does anyone have better contacts with Tremec that could maybe help me out here? I have all the emails, all the timelines, everything.

I'm thinking small claims court at this point is my only recourse.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Tremec sent me out a new trans this past week and offered to pay for any labor and parts.

It's been a long process, but all is well in the end.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
That's great to hear that they stand behind their product. My magnum has 0 miles on it I've had it for a year and a half and it hasn't even had oil in it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread