MAF sensor and nitrous.

Silver 03 Cobra

Maybe most have read about my dyno session with my chiller and on the bottle. I'll recap. I have the Compucar Nitrous in a Bag kit. I installed it in the end of the filter as suggested. Compucar says it will allow the MAF sensor to richen up the A/F to compensate for the spray. My first run resulted in the engine cutting out and I aborted before I even got to 4000 rpm. We moved the nozzle to just in front of the TOB. It ran a lot better but it was rough so I aborted that run. I drive the car pretty easily on the road. I didn't notice any problem until yesterday when I passed a car in sixth gear. I had plenty of room without the need to down shift. I noticed the car was skipping quite a bit when I mashed it to the floor. I slowed and it would do it in fifth and you could barley feel it in fourth. The engine had to be at WOT to notice this symptom. It seems in higher gears like fourth and higher where the engine lugs is where it is most noticeable although I can barely feel it in lower gears. I pulled the chip and ran it on the stock computer and it still does it. I checked for leaks and corrected my one small vacuum leak with no change. I looked at my plugs and they are a little black.

I'm wondering if I contaminated my MAF sensor when I shot some spray thought it. It's a dry system with no purge. Maybe there was condensation or something in the line. I think the second pull was rough because the sensor was contaminated and not the juice. I think if I had made one more pull off the bottle it would have still skipped.

I'm ordering a set of plugs today from Advance. They say the NGK TR6's have been changed to a new number. I'm going to NGK's website to find any info. I also did a search on MAF cleaning and read that you can get a new MAF from Pep Boys for $70. I'm not sure if this applies to an 03. I'm sure it's fuel or ignition.

Is it pssible the spray itself could contaminate the MAF sensor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver 03 Cobra

Went to NGK's website. They haven't changed the part number for TR6's. The PN is still TR6 but it has a stock number of 4177 and that is the number that Advance told me was the new PN. I searched and most recommend a good non-lubricated contact cleaner. I'm pretty sure it's the MAF sensor. I had a piece of filter rubber break off and stick to mine last year. It is the same exact symptoms but not nearly as severe. It also has a little hesitation when aggresive throttle is applied.

Dang it. I was going to dyno the chiller tomorrow. Maybe I can do it Saturday. The dyno owner is a big time racer. I think I'll be lucky to catch him on Labor day Weekend.

Terminator03

banned
Plain and simple its the nitrous. I know exactly what your talking about. When you have it mashed it feels like its pulsating in and out of full power. Whenever you have that on spray its either improper installation, a faulty solenoid, or which I think your cause is... just SOL. I say that because any kit that is gonna spray all the way through the filter, MAF, aroung the bend all the way through the TB and around the plenum is not gonna be an even steady flow. Path of travel is too long to be consistant. That is way when you mash it youll feel stronger clouds of nitrous entering the SC. So I think there is really nothing wrong. The incosistanty in the travel spray wont be enough to hurt your engine with the calibrated A/F from the MAF (Unless its a ridiculous shot). But it will be enough to notice a not so smooth surge of power when WOT.

Silver 03 Cobra

I've been out for a few days. Thanks for the reply back Terminator03. You have helped me in the past and one of the few that are willing to share info. I have always been willing to share information. That's what I thought these boards were all about. On another board the only help I've ever gotten is someone PM'ing me wanting to sell me something to help my problem. Shit.

T3, I have the problem without spraying that was apparently caused by spraying. After working on it Friday I found the problem and it wasn't caused by the bottle. It affected my chiller runs. Looks like my chiller is going to make some good power. I made 10 more rwhp with this problem. I'd bet a months pay it will produce 30-40 rwhp as soon as I get this problem fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

trey193

Established Member
So have you pinpointed it being the mass air meter, just wondering because once I get my car sorted out and running some numbers with the Eaton, I have a brand new old school NOS 5115 dry kit that I want to spray the car with, now you have me worried I may damage the MAF if sprayed through the filter so not sure which route to go, I am interested to know if you did conclude it is your MAF thats causing the surging problem and hesitation!

Users who are viewing this thread