MAF/filter setup on power pipe 96-98 Cobras

DaveWertz

Established Member
For those running a power pipe on 96-98 cobra how many of you were forced to use a 90 elbow to connect the air filter to the maf? Mainly because of space? My filter does not fit over my SCT 90mm maf. So I am contemplating getting new one to fit. I now have a 90 connecting the 2 which I don't like at all. I always was under the impression you want a straight flow from the filter to the maf? Or am I over thinking this?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you want the MAF as far away from a bend as possible, I don't know how being draw through might compare to blow through issues.

If you have a handheld Id log the maf with your current setup and compare against it with the filter coming off of a 90. If your MAF fluctuation stays about the same then you shouldn't have a problem.

You could always look at going blow through but you'll definitely need some tune adjustments

DaveWertz

Established Member
you want the MAF as far away from a bend as possible, I don't know how being draw through might compare to blow through issues.

If you have a handheld Id log the maf with your current setup and compare against it with the filter coming off of a 90. If your MAF fluctuation stays about the same then you shouldn't have a problem.

You could always look at going blow through but you'll definitely need some tune adjustments
Well I just put in 42lb injectors and the maf. Had factory on to get it home and it was setup the same. But since putting injectors and maf in. I doubt it's going to start. If it does I don't feel comfortable starting it. I'm sure its going to dump piles of fuel into the cylinders that I don't want. I thought my current filter would bolt directly to the 90mm maf housing but I was wrong its a bit smaller. I will probably go draw in the future, but For now this will work. I have a apointment June 11th so going over everything before I go. That is what brought it to my attention.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Honestly, if you have time before your tune set it up for blow through now. I've run draw and blow through and will never run a draw through again. So much easier to tune and the driveability was tons better.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Like stated if you have the time just go blow through. If you already have your piping laid out it should be simple to get another pipe with a maf slot already there and place it on your setup somehow.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Like stated if you have the time just go blow through. If you already have your piping laid out it should be simple to get another pipe with a maf slot already there and place it on your setup somehow.
Or even get a flange and mount it to one of the straight pipes. That what I did on my old set up.

DaveWertz

Established Member
After trying every which way possible I decided to just buy a shorter air filter that has different couplers. My factory air filter was that factor. It was to tall. Replaced it with a spectra filter from auto zone, now I have the maf connected to the power pipe, filter attached to the maf. Just wish the maf harness was a bit longer. Was worried I was going to yank out the wires to the connector at times.

I'd like to go blow thru, but money is tight right now on this build. Spent most of this yrs budget piecing this together. Rest of the budget goes towards tuning. That and I still want to get my trans done this yr. Hopefully by next yr I will be IC and blow thru.

shurur

Established Member
After trying every which way possible I decided to just buy a shorter air filter that has different couplers. My factory air filter was that factor. It was to tall. Replaced it with a spectra filter from auto zone, now I have the maf connected to the power pipe, filter attached to the maf. Just wish the maf harness was a bit longer. Was worried I was going to yank out the wires to the connector at times.

I'd like to go blow thru, but money is tight right now on this build. Spent most of this yrs budget piecing this together. Rest of the budget goes towards tuning. That and I still want to get my trans done this yr. Hopefully by next yr I will be IC and blow thru.

I hear that.
$ is tight for me too, but working on the mustang helps me feel better.

Keep us posted as this mod was part of the NA SVT recipe for the B head (swirl port) Cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread