Made the switch to a Cobra!

jwlightning

Established Member
Just wanted to introduce you to my new Cobra. She's a 2004 with app. 36,500 on the clock. I just picked it up 2 weeks ago and it was just in time for my trip to the mountains. I just came out of a 2003 Lightning that I had owned for almost 4 years, so it is a definite change. It's stock other than a Steeda CAI and a Tri-ax shifter. It also has the charcoal inserts in the seats. It's every bit as clean as it looks in the pics. I'm loving it so far....it's definitely a different animal than the Lightning, but with 6th gear it got 24.5 on the 430 trip from Florida to Lake Lure, NC where these pics were taken. Oh...it takes the twisties like the Lightning could only have dreamed of:banana:

So what says you, fellas?

LakeLureCobra005.jpg

LakeLureCobra006.jpg

LakeLureCobra008.jpg

LakeLureCobra010.jpg

LakeLureCobra011.jpg

LakeLureCobra013.jpg

LakeLureCobra014.jpg

jwlightning

Established Member
Congrats, looks like a really clean and well kept car! Any future plans for it?

Not a whole lot at the moment...I actually put a SLP catted x-pipe on it before I made the trip to get some more noise from it. I forgot to mention it also has weld-in Flowmasters on it.

It really is clean and I had a dilemma about getting rid of the Lightning, but I had 84K on the Lightning. I almost traded it for an 05+ GT because my Father-in-Law has one and I really like the creature comforts, but I couldn't bring myself to leave the SVT family.....I don't know what I'd do without the whine!!!:rockon:

This deal fell upon me and I took it. I suppose as I read more I'll learn about the Cobra's. I spent 4 years reading SVTP and NLOC learning about the Lightning and now I have to start over again. I've already figured out that I have the Cobra "pops" and "creaks", which I'm learning to deal with. I pullied the Lightning and just basically cared for it, so I suppose the same is in store for this one. I like the fact that it has forged rods, so I'm sure I'll throw a pulley and a tune at it before too long. From what I've read, I also need to get some FLSFC and an IRS brace before it visits Gainesville Raceway. Oh...I did fix the lumbar about a week ago.:beer:

I'd like to lower it, but I'm already scraping the f'n exhaust on speed bumps...it seems as though this SLP midpipe sits waaay low. Thoughts on this?

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Nice car, I traded my white 04 L for my silver 04 cobra earlier this year. Mine is silver and had the dark inserts when I got it. I love the cobra but kinda miss my L.

Roushbabe

It's Mine :)
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase!!! :) I just recently moved up from my Roush to a Cobra.. lovin ittttt!! haha

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great job on not buying the newer GT, I had the same opportunity but decided to go with the more rarer 5 year old Cobra FTMFW!

jwlightning

Established Member
Nice car, I traded my white 04 L for my silver 04 cobra earlier this year. Mine is silver and had the dark inserts when I got it. I love the cobra but kinda miss my L.

Same here brother. I do miss being able to use the bed and I haven't had it two weeks. Taking out the trash sucks!!

My Lightning was Black so I don't miss the detailing aspect!! Your car is one I look up to by the way!

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
loosen up the bolts for the midpipe to the catback and jack up on that point to get the pipes to tuck up in there real nicely..

antiv6

Established Member
I'd like to lower it, but I'm already scraping the f'n exhaust on speed bumps...it seems as though this SLP midpipe sits waaay low. Thoughts on this?
lol i know how you feel, i use to scrape on speedbumps at the stock ride height, but now im lowered and my slp cats are getting destroyed by everything the cats are literally like 2 inches off the ground (would be about 1 3/4 in but ive flattened the bottom of both on bumps) and the pipes as high as it will get, im switching to a bassani midpipe in the next few weeks

Last edited:

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
Gratz and welcome to the cobra family. Get some springs, 10.5 wheels on the back 315 tires (wish I had more meat on the back of mine), pulley/tune call it a day. BTW black is the fastest color but very clean silver cobra you got there.

Last edited:

SVT IV.VI

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Established Member
Def. a good looking/clean car man! I can especially sign off on the NC mountains trip.:thumbsup: Keep her between the white lines and happy modding!

Users who are viewing this thread