Made some test hits in my '13 GT at the drag strip

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Well, I went to Heartland Park Topeka Friday evening and made a few test hits. I knew going into this that I was at a disadvantage due to not having installed a line lock on the car. I was not willing to eat up my rear brakes to do a burnout, so I just did a quick hop prior to each run to clean the rocks and dust off of the ET Streets. The launch rpm for the first motor pass was 3400 off the 2Step and 3800 for the second motor pass as well as the nitrous pass. FYI, I was not at all concerned about cutting a good light or winning any races; just trying to see how the car responded with the mods that I had done. On the aborted pass the car felt funny and I smelled clutch material. The right rear tire also stopped spinning for a brief second and then resumed spinning. Not sure why this occurred because I thought the Torsen differential on the Track Pack cars was designed to allow both wheels to rotate together. Lastly, in one of the videos I can hear a clunk as I am rolling out of the water box. The car has stock springs, struts and shocks with a weld on Swarr Bar, welded axle tubes, UPR adj. UCA with spherical housing bushing and Metco billet LCAs (no relocate brackets). Aside from the obvious lack of burnouts prior to launch, does anyone see any problems with the way the suspension is responding? If so, what do you see and what is your recommended suggestion to straighten things out and help get me on track to producing those 10 second ET time slips that I am hoping for? See time slips and links for videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keP85CM9IVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaMd02pbOus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggtUorCQEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws42O334Nos

Sent from my iPad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

lindermant

Established Member
what tire pressure were you running in the rear tires?

I have ET street bias ply's on my '05 and with my setup I've found that 15psi cold works well with a crappy prep track, and 18psi works well at MIR (metco UCA/LCA, bmr reloc brackets, cobra jet springs, strange single adj struts/shocks) - but I'm still experimenting with tire pressure and shock settings.

I do small burnouts to clean off the tires just like you, and I'm able to launch at 5000-5500+ rpm with just a little spin and cut 1.65 60' times (launch pic, launch vid)

have fun getting it dialed in!

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Hit? You mean a pass? lol I couldn't resist

I've run an Eaton Trutrac with good results but the slightly different Torsen (going by what others have said) is not as strong for drag racing applications. Torque bias ratio is different as well. A Detroit (Eaton) Locker might be better suited to what you want to do.

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Thanks for the insight lindermant. The video was very helpful to show what goes on back there on the launch. Looks like you've got it dialed in. Do you drive around the water box prior to heating your tires and are you spinning them until they haze over and then staging? BTW, I just ordered a line lock and clutch line. I am also going to delve into writing my own tunes, seeing as how I bought the SCT Pro Racer Package, I might as well give it a go.

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
I just might end up going that route or maybe even a spool if I really get into track outings with this car. My initial goal was to be able to run 10's after all of the work. Since I haven't come close to that yet it looks like I will be visiting the track again and again until I run that number.

lindermant

Established Member
once you do the initial spin in the water box stop just outside of it, rev to 4-5k and dump the clutch. The car will sit there for a few seconds even without a line lock (it may start to walk a little sideways), and then ride that out and go up and stage. On your last video (here), I think the tires might have still been a bit wet when you were at the line... I don't think a John Force smokey burnout is needed, just clean/dry 'em off.

If I have the skinnies up front I go through the water box, if I have the OEM front wheels on I drive around it. Wanted to add that I have the Eaton Truetrac as well, and I really like it.

Users who are viewing this thread