Machined Terminator wheels clean up

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just picked up a cheap set of Terminator wheels with the machined finish. They are 17x9 and 17x10.5, grabbed them for $350 with tires. Only looking to mount them on my car for the winter months while it sits.
Allows me to remove the TF wheels and give them another good polishing over the off season, possibly sell them.
The Terminator wheels are looking kinda "meh" though. Any tips on cleaning them up? Can I use some aluminum wheel cleaner, and finish them up with some .0000 steel wool. There is some light pitting in the lug nut area.
I can take some pics tomorrow if it's needed.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If I am not mistaking, the wheels should have a factory clearcoat on them. Unless it has been stripped off, then I would treat them just like a regular painted surface.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I think they are cleared as well. Don't hit them with any steel wool! I would try to use a light polish on them either by hand or machine and see how they clean up.

The pitting on them may be the clear failing in a few areas.

Pics and keep us posted...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Here's a couple of pics for you guys. Hoping I can get them cleaned up pretty well.
20201114_090217.jpeg
20201114_090222.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04MysticCobra

Established Member
What NastyGT500 said above. Yes the 03 machined Cobra wheels do have a clearcoat on them. For the way that wheel looks would use a good cleaner similar to what is used on the paint clearcoat. There are so many out there but you can buy a decent paintwork cleanser at wally world if you don't have one already. I would of hit those wheels with one on my various paint prep cleaners from McKees. Meguiars, Menzerna, Wolfgang, Griot and many others. Then once cleaned a final coat of wax, sealant or ceramic coating for protection.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I think they are cleared as well. Don't hit them with any steel wool! I would try to use a light polish on them either by hand or machine and see how they clean up.

The pitting on them may be the clear failing in a few areas.

Pics and keep us posted...

Need to get down there to Naples and look around. My good friend has been down there in Naples for 25+ years and I need to visit. If I end up buying a place down there you will have all my detail business for my rides so I can hang at the beach more...lol. Have friends and relatives all over the state so I have a lot of visiting to do.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Tried some A2Z wheel cleaner. No dice
Tried brake cleaner (on inside of wheel). No dice
Tried acetone (on inside of wheel). No dice

Even the face of the wheel doesn't want to clean up with the wheel cleaner. These poor things were neglected apparently.
Any more suggestions? I'd really like to get these suckers spiffed up a bit before putting them on the car for winter storage.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Tried some A2Z wheel cleaner. No dice
Tried brake cleaner (on inside of wheel). No dice
Tried acetone (on inside of wheel). No dice

Even the face of the wheel doesn't want to clean up with the wheel cleaner. These poor things were neglected apparently.
Any more suggestions? I'd really like to get these suckers spiffed up a bit before putting them on the car for winter storage.

Those don’t look like they’re going to clean up. If they are cleared the paint looks done to me. Since these are just a cheap winter wheel solution sounds like I would plastidip them and let em roll.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I was really hoping to more or less get the brake dust off that is residing in all the pitted areas.
Next year maybe strip the clear, clean em up better, and then re-clear. They were cheap enough that I don't mind experimenting with them. For the $350 I got a nice set of Nitto 315s on the 10.5s. The 9" have Kumhos with lots of tread. I could get my money back easily.

boost88

Established Member
350 bucks is a damn steel. I would have definitely taken the ass chewing on those lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Update: I hit the barrels of the wheels (2 so far) with some Muriatic acid and a scuffy pad. I tried diluting 50/50 with water, but that was weak sauce. :D
95% of the brake dust is gone. A few stubborn little spots, but they are getting there.
After hitting the front of 1 wheel with a single coat of WAB #2 polish, I'm starting to think they may have been polished to begin with. They look cloudy, but don't look like machined wheels to me. I've never owned 03 wheels though so who am I to judge?
I'll upload pics in a few minutes.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Update: I hit the barrels of the wheels (2 so far) with some Muriatic acid and a scuffy pad. I tried diluting 50/50 with water, but that was weak sauce. :D
95% of the brake dust is gone. A few stubborn little spots, but they are getting there.
After hitting the front of 1 wheel with a single coat of WAB #2 polish, I'm starting to think they may have been polished to begin with. They look cloudy, but don't look like machined wheels to me. I've never owned 03 wheels though so who am I to judge?

I had a set just like that.....ebay
No recovering em unless acid dipped and re-coated

Need to get down there to Naples and look around. My good friend has been down there in Naples for 25+ years and I need to visit. If I end up buying a place down there you will have all my detail business for my rides so I can hang at the beach more...lol. Have friends and relatives all over the state so I have a lot of visiting to do.

stop by Savannah. I'm 3 stop lights off I-95
lol

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
...and a couple before and after of the fronts. The last 3 are of the wheel I hit with the polish. Does it look machined to you guys? Or were these polished at one point?
The fronts still need more cleaning/polishing still, but im pretty happy with how the barrels turned out.
20201114_090217.jpeg
20201114_090222.jpeg
20201114_155732.jpeg
20201114_155555.jpeg
20201114_155750.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04MysticCobra

Established Member
stop by Savannah. I'm 3 stop lights off I-95
lol

No question there Kona. Besides you will be visiting Jerry the seller....lol....and my friend Mark who lives off 95 in Richmond Hill. I am long overdue for another visit to Savannah and Florida. If this damn virus would just ease up. Would have to quarantine for 14 days to come back north which is not a big deal for me but my wife once she goes back to work in Dec. For some reason I always seem to visit Florida and Georgia when its the hottest but not complaining it beats the cold up here. Visited about a dozen times over the years between the two.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I had a wheel go bad and bought one of the "remanufactured machined charcoal wheels" to try it out.

It was way different.

Here is a pic of the difference with the oem on the left and the machined on the right of it helps any.
20200901_225138.jpeg
20200901_223252.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fitforspeed

Established Member

I thought they looked like the polished to me. I would say they likely are. Ive had many of the machined wheels and those definitely look like some really mistreated polished wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread