(Mach1)engine swap(into a 2001 GT) help needed

phillydog

I have a 2001 mustang gt 4.6 single cam. I'm installing a 4.6 twin cam from 2004 mach 1. Does anyone know the best way to convert the wire harness? Can I use an engine harness from a 2001 svt? Will it match up with the existing body harness? Or is there a better way to make the wiring connections?

Thanks, Phil

Last edited:

Rusty67

Established Member
I don't think this is the most common swap out there. You would likely have better luck getting wiring diagrams for both your car and the Mach 1 to see what matches up and what you will need to add. The Mach 1 motor is basically the earlier Cobra motor with the newer 4v heads but I don't think the Mach motor has the IMRC plates. I'm not sure if the 2001 SVT had IMRC plates or not. What ECU are you planning on using ?

markw351

Established Member
i just finished a 03 Mach swap into my 2000 saleen. Now, my buddy did the work so i am going to be giving you this info second hand. We used the stock ECU and modified the stock harness. Extended the COP wires (soldered and heat shrunk) used the Mach MAF and injectors. I think he had to do something w/the alternator wiring and i think he used the Mach injector connectors. I bought an SCT tuner and am having Rick @ Amazon tune it. My car is actually running on the stock 2v (saleen) tune. Hasn't even thrown a code. Of course i'm driving it extremely easy as i am breaking in a clutch as well. Car hasn't seen more the about 2500 rpms. Do a google search for 4v swap, there is quite a bit of info out there. Good luck

Last edited:

Jonesy98

Established Member
im currently doing a mark viii swap in my 98 gt... i believe on the COP cars doing the swap if im not mistaking you ahve to reverse the polarity on the coil wire? not sure on that. im currently awaiting a few odds and ends but with stock gt ecu it fires and runs great concidering that changes.... on mine tho i had to extend IAC, TPS, Temp sensor/switch. and reroute pcv system. however i deleted all the egr and rear O2's... ill have pics soon if i can figure out how to post them on here. but i hope this might shed some light. as Markw351 said is should run fine "nomally" till tuned.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You can run the motor off the stock gt harness/computer, you will just need to lengthen a few sensor wires to their new home. Also what Jonesy said about the polarity having to be swapped to run the 99-04 4V coils is correct iirc. A custom tune will make sure the gt computer can handle the extra 1k rpm that the 4V will spin and of course get the motor running correctly.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I don't think this is the most common swap out there. You would likely have better luck getting wiring diagrams for both your car and the Mach 1 to see what matches up and what you will need to add. The Mach 1 motor is basically the earlier Cobra motor with the newer 4v heads but I don't think the Mach motor has the IMRC plates. I'm not sure if the 2001 SVT had IMRC plates or not. What ECU are you planning on using ?

Only 96-98 cobra motors and Mark VIII motors (B head 4V motors) use IMRC's.

Users who are viewing this thread