Mach 1 K-member swap, engine removal, and valve spring replacement ("build" thread)

gabe1530

Banned
Great work thus far. Why not use some touch up paint in the mean time? It's pretty low so I don't think it will be that noticeable.

starnsey

Established Member
Great work thus far. Why not use some touch up paint in the mean time? It's pretty low so I don't think it will be that noticeable.

Honestly, it's worse in real life than it looks in the pictures. It was a pretty serious crumple and it's going to drive me up the freakin' wall knowing it's there.

starnsey

Established Member
Little teaser

KNvvyxi.jpg

QxtxqVI.jpg

starnsey

Established Member
Stop it lol I need more photos

Haha I'm buttoning up a few things right now and the weather is shit for the next like week. Can guarantee a photoshoot will be happening relatively soon after everything is done and the car gets a good detail.

Machstang

Well written tutorial, thanks. Kudos to handling all that work on your own and for your first time too. Progress looks great. this was a great bed time read. Lol.

starnsey

Established Member
I got my SpeedHut Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges wired up properly and routed through the fender so the wires are as hidden as possible as opposed to before where they were just draped across various wiring harnesses. I also cut a slit in the main harness grommet and shoved them into there and got the grommet properly seated in the firewall for the first time since ownership so that's good.

The rest of the interior is buttoned up so I won't be sucking in exhaust fumes through the shifter hole.

Also dropped my shaker and shaker mounting bracket off with my local powdercoater to get re-done. His wrinkle finish is a little more aggressive than the stock finish but I think it'll look fine. Guess we'll find out. For $20, not a big deal.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Got the passenger side outer tie rod off but cannot for the life of me remove the driver side outer tie rod. Meant to remove the inner tie rods but the loaner tool from Autozone is incorrect since the inner tie rod I have has some bulbous thing in front of the hex:

139322d1425437522-how-remove-inner-tie-rod-20150303_204431_1425437519456.jpg

I did manage to shorten the steering rack bolts for the MM k-member. Was kinda a pain using a hack saw, hand file and die set. But got it done, you can see my setup that I did in my kitchen below:

wi2sY4u.jpg

I also noticed I've got coolant leaking from the crossover fill plug which doesn't make much sense since the fill plug is brand new. Has anyone ever had an issue with the bore of the actual crossover preventing the plug from sealing? And no, I definitely did not overtighten it.

You have way more patience than I do. I shortened mine with a die grinder and then beveled the edges with the same grinder and it worked out perfectly. Nice build man. It looks awesome.

starnsey

Established Member
You have way more patience than I do. I shortened mine with a die grinder and then beveled the edges with the same grinder and it worked out perfectly. Nice build man. It looks awesome.

Haha well I didn't really have a choice. I didn't have a grinder on hand. It was only about 5 minutes per bolt of sawing so no biggie. Then a little filing and a pass-over with a die and it was good to go.

That sucks my man but looks like your working it out

Thanks, really the only trouble was damaging the rocker panel. Everything else is working out smoothly.

I've decided that I'll be ordering the SCT ProRacer software and tuning the car myself. I don't want to risk spending another $400-600 at a shop only to tell me that they can't do any better. Plus, that way I won't have to wait for appointments and have to drive across town to get shit done. Guess after all this, I truly am fully set on never taking my car to a shop again!

starnsey

Established Member
Car passed inspection :D

Too bad it's so out of date that I have to physically go to the DMV to get my registration sticker (no more inspection stickers in Texas).

Also got the shaker back from powdercoating.

Also forgot to mention that we ended up using our tax refund to pay off the car so the title is mine now! Also have to go to the DMV to get the lienholder removed for some stupid reason.

Anyway, photoshoot should be coming up soon once this upcoming storm system passes through (hopefully quickly, but doesn't look like it)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread