Mac longtubes pinching AC lines.

IllCobra

Established Member
So my brother and I are gapping the spark plugs and i notice that an AC line is pinched in between my Mac LTs and the body of the car on the passenger side (duh). Now, we know we can't just leave the line there unless i want the it blow up on me, but my brother is telling me we're are going to have to remove the the blower and lift the engine up a little bit to get the line free.

I seem to remember reading from a member(s) on here, or another site, that they had this same situation happen to them. I can't remember how they corrected this issue, or if they mentioned it at all, but is lifting the engine the only way or do i have other options? Will I need to modify/bend the AC line to get it a safe distance from the LTs? Also, would anyone with Macs, or any other LTs, post up some pics of the passenger side header? I just wanna see how far they are from the header and just a better grasp on where the lines should be, it's been months since I pulled the motor so i do not remember at all how they were originally.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm interested in knowing about this. I have a brand new in the box set of JBA midlengths and I saw a video where a guy was mocking up a set on the car and mentioned they were close to the AC line. He never addressed how the AC line was handled.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I dont have MACs but my Kooks LTs are extremely close to the A/C lines at one point they were rubbing i kind of bent it away and ziptide. Driver side my steering shaft bushing is really close to the Header.
AC lines LT.jpg
Steering shaft LT (Medium).jpg

IllCobra

Established Member
I dont have MACs but my Kooks LTs are extremely close to the A/C lines at one point they were rubbing i kind of bent it away and ziptide. Driver side my steering shaft bushing is really close to the Header.View attachment 1470676 View attachment 1470678
Thanks for the pics! Do you drive your car a lot? I feel like i've read of people with Macs having this issue more than other LTs.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
In the Summer time i really try to enjoy it. As long as it isn't raining i drive it. I think LTs in general are a PIA, due to the tight tolerances, they hang low, the heat they put out, etc.. If your trying to make big power its probably the way to go, if you want to enjoy the car with out all the annoyances that LTs bring stay away from them. If i knew what i know now i probably would've stayed with my stock logs or maybe install some mid lengths.

MineralGray03

Established Member
I have Mac longtubes on my car and actually had the a/c line blow out on me first long trip I took. Replaced the line and simply bent it up and away ever so slightly and haven't had a problem since. It's been about 2 or 3 yrs.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IllCobra

Established Member
I have Mac longtubes on my car and actually had the a/c line blow out on me first long trip I took. Replaced the line and simply bent it up and away ever so slightly and haven't had a problem since. It's been about 2 or 3 yrs.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That is exactly what i am trying to avoid. How tough was it to change out the AC line?

I was able to somewhat fix the issue today with some zipties. It's still slightly touching, but not as much as before. I couldn't get the line over the header so i had to push it under instead. I am going to ball up a piece of foil and pinch it in between the line and header just it so the line itself is not in contact with the header - ghetto I know but it's the only i can think of... here's what it looks like
20180304_111458_HDR.jpg

20180304_111434_HDR.jpg
20180304_095206_HDR.jpg

Stage 4.6

Established Member
That's not a bad idea, i wonder if getting a piece of header wrap on the a/c line would help?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I need to look at mine..

looing at pic it kinda looks like engine is to far to right..
I recall more room..between tower and valve cover..

I'm using bbk long tubes..

IllCobra

Established Member
I need to look at mine..

looing at pic it kinda looks like engine is to far to right..
I recall more room..between tower and valve cover..

I'm using bbk long tubes..
Let me know if you can get a pic of it. For all i know the motor may not be 100% aligned right.
I figure as long as the line isnt in contact with the header then there wont be a risk of the line bursting...

hotcobra03

Established Member
hard to see..I have both lines running along frame..

header is 2 inchs or more away..but are baby size 1 5/8..

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Man, some times I think about modifying my Cobra, but then I see all these posts about problems you guys have to deal with and it makes me realize that I enjoy my cobra just the way it is.

If I want headaches LOL, then I'll deal with the modifications on my 65.

GL OP. Hope you get it taken care of and don't have any blowouts of the A/C lines or anything.

IllCobra

Established Member
hard to see..I have both lines running along frame..

header is 2 inchs or more away..but are baby size 1 5/8..
Does seem like mine is on the tight side. Hopefully the line not touching is enough to keep me out of trouble.

Man, some times I think about modifying my Cobra, but then I see all these posts about problems you guys have to deal with and it makes me realize that I enjoy my cobra just the way it is.

If I want headaches LOL, then I'll deal with the modifications on my 65.

GL OP. Hope you get it taken care of and don't have any blowouts of the A/C lines or anything.
I definitely understand where you're coming from, but where's the fun in keeping it stock lol I'll find the solution to my problem, be it the hard or easy way, and i'll enjoy my car that much more after.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I definitely understand where you're coming from, but where's the fun in keeping it stock lol?

I agree with you if your Cobra is your only toy. I have several toys and my 65 is where the modifications go for me.

Problem with modifying is the domino effect. Meaning when you modify one thing you "normally" have to modify other things in order to keep from having problems down the road.

I've been playing this game for years. I think I'm just too old to be messing around with stuff all the time now. These days I just want to jump in it, rip through some gears and then put it away until next time LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread