MA Inspection requirements

ultimateburrito

Established Member
That's funny, I live in Chelmsford....not even ten minutes from you.

Flagged as in the OBD2 machine marks you down in the State registry as being illegal and you need to go to a state run center called a MAC center.

There , your car is put through a full visual inspection on a lift where someone will point out every single thing on the car thats not up to state code. Trust me, you do NOT want this. I had a friend with long tubes that the MAC center made him put his stock stuff back on in order to pass inspection, again not good.

The good news is we have a friend ( on this site ) that runs a local shop in Pepprell, he has a twin turbo 2v GT. Many of us ( including me) have gone to him for some work. I'd start there

Make sure you check him out Holmes Auto Repair - 16 Nashua Rd. Pepperell, Ma 01463 - (978) 433-0400 - Home

Ha i have actually checked that place out before... all these places are really close by actually. Too bad im not in mass for another year or so...

ultimateburrito

Established Member
Too funny. I grew up in the next town over from Pepperell, Townsend. Spend a lot of time there at my buddies shop, Resurrection Auto, doing restorations on 60/70's muscle cars. Holmes Auto is about 5 min up the street. Good guy. His GT is unbelievable. Make sure you stop by and introduce yourself. He'll help you out.

Sure thing. Everyone i hang out with is from townsend, so ill have to check out resurrection.

brys00gt

Established Member
just a suggestion...

I have my Mustang reg in Florida...

Florida has no emissions... also if this is not your primary vehicle or I mean If your Mustang is used primarily for pleasure /recreational use, it doesn't matter the state its registered in. You just have to prove dual residency. (which is 6months 1 day in that state)

FACT! I have 3 other vehicles.. and I got ticketed in the state of Connecticut and went to court on it and won.
As long as my mustang is compliant to that states laws and regulations, I am with in my right to have "no emissions testing" "tint" my windows.
Anyway .. If you are looking to do this let me know I'm willing to help you out..

I send my registration in online nothing has to be done in person. You will need to get a "Florida" insurance company. if you need help let me know :)

I like to keep this simple and not share too much here...

Good luck either way..

This will not cut it. Most states have a law in the book stating that if the vehicle is in the state for 30 days it must be registered in that state. So if you piss off someone you may make it onto their list.

Dead Mach 1

Established Member
i actually do mass inspections...

if you go to an inspection station that is a little lax on the rules as far as the exhaust it shouldn't be a problem.

as far as emissions your best bet it to get a custom tune done... they keep the monitors on but trick the computer into thinking everything is working the way its should... had to get a custom tune for my 03 cobra.

i actually ran into emissions problems with my old mach 1... i had a diablo sport tuner with pre loaded tune in the car and i just shut the monitors off so i ended up having to bring the car to one of thier MAC buildings so they could check it out... also ment i had to take the o/r x-pipe off and put the stock h-pipe back on

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I just went though all this over the summer. You need to make sure all monitors are turned on. MA allows you 1 monitor to read "Not Ready" any more than that and you fail. Whatever you do don't disconnect your battery or let it die!! That's what screwed me because it takes a varying amount of driving to make them read "Ready" No matter what anyone tells you there is no specific amount of driving to make them ready. It's all random for every car. I had to put over 150 miles on mine to make it work, last time this happened to me I didn't even have to drive 40 miles and they were all back on. One guy on here had to drive over 700 miles I think to get his on.

Most stations will plug the car in first prior to running the inspection and let you know if your monitors are on.

If you need them turned the only one to see is Pete @ Performance Dyno for this. I don't think the longtubes will even be noticed, but if the car is too loud that might be a problem.

ultimateburrito

Established Member
I just went though all this over the summer. You need to make sure all monitors are turned on. MA allows you 1 monitor to read "Not Ready" any more than that and you fail. Whatever you do don't disconnect your battery or let it die!! That's what screwed me because it takes a varying amount of driving to make them read "Ready" No matter what anyone tells you there is no specific amount of driving to make them ready. It's all random for every car. I had to put over 150 miles on mine to make it work, last time this happened to me I didn't even have to drive 40 miles and they were all back on. One guy on here had to drive over 700 miles I think to get his on.

Most stations will plug the car in first prior to running the inspection and let you know if your monitors are on.

If you need them turned the only one to see is Pete @ Performance Dyno for this. I don't think the longtubes will even be noticed, but if the car is too loud that might be a problem.

yeah its pretty loud. but i have a year before i get out to figure out the situation

Users who are viewing this thread