M/T Stiff sidewall slick vs M/T et street?

Flaco1

Established Member
How much stiffer are the sidewalls on the M/T stiff sidewall slick vs M/T ET street slick? Because I'm running the ET STREET right now on my car right now and have a little sway on the top end. I was thinking about adding some tubes to stiffen them up a little if that would help. Since I have a manual trans on full weight car with a 2.9 Whipple. Because I was looking to the sell et street to get the stiff sidewall slicks. Pretty much new tires and hate to get rid of them. Before I buy the tubes or just sale the et streets and get the stiff sidewalls slicks. Thanks for the input.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
What tires are you running up front? Mixing radial with bias-ply will cause sway. Also running the rears at lower air pressure will increase the sway also. ET Streets have a very stiff side wall. The only thing you will gain is the rubber compound being softer and requiring less heat input to get up to operating temps by going with the full slick instead of the ET Streets.

Flaco1

Established Member
What tires are you running up front? Mixing radial with bias-ply will cause sway. Also running the rears at lower air pressure will increase the sway also. ET Streets have a very stiff side wall. The only thing you will gain is the rubber compound being softer and requiring less heat input to get up to operating temps by going with the full slick instead of the ET Streets.

Running stock wheels up front for now. Working on getting the front runners pretty soon. I was running 15 psi on them.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Yes the stockers up front are what's causing your problem. Put some skinnies up front and the car will calm down at the top end.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive ran both the et street and the stiff sidewall et drag on my 92. The ET street is horrible at lower tire pressure compared to the stiff et drag as far as top end sway. After running the et drag I wont bother with the et street again. Its either et drag or drag radial.

86merc

Established Member
OP, The stiff sidewall will be more stable than the ET Street. And if you want it even more stiff you can run a tube in them as well. I run the Hoosier stiff sidewall slick with the C07 compound on my car. I run a front runner radial up front, for the time being, and have very little sway. That is with 14 psi in the tires and around a 3800# race weight. But having a radial up front can cause issues with a bias ply tire in back. Especially a wide stock type tire compared to a skinny front runner.

ET Streets have a very stiff side wall. The only thing you will gain is the rubber compound being softer and requiring less heat input to get up to operating temps by going with the full slick instead of the ET Streets.

M/T says the ET streets do not have the same sidewall as the stiff sidewall slicks. I know for a fact Hoosier QTP (ET street equivalent) and their stiff side wall C07 slicks have a different sidewall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread