Lumber

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Different Frick but players in the gilded age. Huge factory and foundry in PA. Waynesboro, cool history. The History of the Frick Company — Waynesboro Historical Society

Our place is a little over an hour west of yours. I'm sure you notice all the patches of white pines planted in squares on the hillsides? I was told by my pop that was several years of Four H planting competitions in the late 40's. Now all the trees are passing there prime of harvesting and value is nil. Gypsy moths are now in our area in Dansville and there is no help from the government, not even a tax break. We are going to treat soon aireal spray.

Frick and in Henry Frick?...as in Carneige Steel Henry Frick?...thats a cool piece

q6543

Established Member
It's this eviction moratoriums fault.
Once, if ever that goes away, things will sort out quickly.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
The last hurricane season started the inventory pinch, and it's only made worse with production changes driven by Covid. Sawmills cut way back thinking there would be a big dip in demand that never materialized, and then there were shutdowns from employees testing positive. So, supply is way short, but demand is higher than ever. Skyrocketing prices gonna skyrocket.

OK, that makes sense to me.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have a sawmill local to me so I've been buying rough cut lumber. Paid $3.47 for 2x4's yesterday.

I'm thinking of having a mobile mill come and cut some of my trees into lumber.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Do you guys have kilns also? Or are you going to put up green lumber and have twist itself into a twizzler stick?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Oregon has trees , and I mean a lot .
The fires last year , just in my town , burned 197k acres .
Since then , there is an average , of 1000 truck loads of logs , going to mills 6 days a week .
There is plenty is plenty of logs , but no one can pass a drug rest in Oregon for 20.00 entry pay.
I am in construction, and the daily rise in materials is killing a lot of plans , or people are getting further in debt , to get the projects completed.

delvin.a

Established Member
Oregon has trees , and I mean a lot .
The fires last year , just in my town , burned 197k acres .
Since then , there is an average , of 1000 truck loads of logs , going to mills 6 days a week .
There is plenty is plenty of logs , but no one can pass a drug rest in Oregon for 20.00 entry pay.
I am in construction, and the daily rise in materials is killing a lot of plans , or people are getting further in debt , to get the projects completed.

Lol, one day these companies will stop
testing

noco5.0

Established Member
This is going to have a terrible impact on the economy long term. My example is anecdotal but I was looking at a job that would require me to move closer to Metro Denver. The economics just don't work I bought my house for a good price almost 8 years ago and the value has appreciated a lot. The problem is to replace it with something comparable would probably be triple what I paid so even with all the equity I would be in the hole. If people can't afford to live where the economy is creating jobs it's going to cause big problems. Used to be just a few areas on the east and west coast but it's happening all over the country now.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
My Concrete subcontractor bought a bunk of 16’ 2x4’s and a bunk of 3/4 plywood:
$9,000

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Lol, one day these companies will stop
testing
State decriminalization meth , coke , heroin, , but theses dumb asses do not understand the difference between legalized and decriminalization.
Insurance requires a clean drug test .
You can not work around anything....as it should be .

delvin.a

Established Member
State decriminalization meth , coke , heroin, , but theses dumb asses do not understand the difference between legalized and decriminalization.
Insurance requires a clean drug test .
You can not work around anything....as it should be .

I only mean THC the others are out in such a short time that anyone failing those tests is so dumb they shouldn’t be around machinery sober let alone stoned

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
People don't realize the cardboard used daily by Amazon alone. We indirectly subsidize shipping for them through them taking advantage of the USPS too. Amazon should and will have to eventually come up with a way to ship or deliver without exploiting our natural resources to the extent they are. How many trees are lost each day in the name of convenience of next day delivery.

I'm not a tree hugger, just figured I'd point out one of the biggest if not the biggest exploiter of our pulp resources. It affects supply prices.

all this work from home is definitely making it worse. OCC recovery in commercial environments is around 80% on average, curbside is lucky to hit 50% (when you combine that a lot of places the residents have no recycling option and the ones that do lose a lot to contamination). Pricing to recyclers for OCC is still on the low-ish side though and being propped up by lack of transportation.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lumber futures limit up as breakneck rally continues
  • Lumber futures (LB1:COM) +2.5% are halted after rising by the market limit of $32 per 1,000 board feet to $1,326.70.
  • Lumber is up 50% year to date as the supply chains remains tight, with sawmills facing difficulties in reopening, delays in trucking and worker shortages at lumber yards. That's coinciding for huge demand for new homes.
  • Homebuilding stocks are mostly lower. Lennar (NYSE:LEN) -2.5% is down the most among the big names. The iShares Global Timber & Forestry Index ETF (NASDAQ:WOOD) is flat and Weyerhauser (NYSE:WY) -1% is lower.
  • "We are running out of superlatives to describe North American wood product markets," TD Securities analyst Sean Steuart writes in a note.
  • "Prices of lumber and structural panels have increased so quickly in recent weeks that our commodity deck revisions less than a month ago appear conservative," Steuart says. "Reports noted 'frenzied' buying, bolstered by positive economic data, including strong March housing starts/permits."
  • Rising wood costs have already added $24K to the average price of a new U.S. home, the National Association of Homebuilders says, according to Bloomberg.
  • But higher commodity costs could actually mean higher operating margins for companies, according to Credit Suisse.

saupload_lumber_futures_041921_thumb1.png

Users who are viewing this thread