Lumber

jaxbusa

Established Member
I built this chicken coop about a month and a half ago and was blown away at the cost of materials. It’s about 8’x4’ and cost about $1,000. It probably should have been about $750.
Image1617818206.055070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

C0bra99

Established Member
Not to start a political battle and point fingers, but it most likely started with the trade war started from the Trump administration. I only say that because about 3 years ago, there was a house I had previously inquired about and when I was ready to have it built, I was told from the builder that the house had gone up another $40K to build because of the increased material costs from the trade war.
Are you retarded? Seriously why is lumber expensive here in Canada if this has something from 3 years a ago. Dude take your rose colored glasses off and take a look around.

blk02edge

Established Member
Not to start a political battle and point fingers, but it most likely started with the trade war started from the Trump administration. I only say that because about 3 years ago, there was a house I had previously inquired about and when I was ready to have it built, I was told from the builder that the house had gone up another $40K to build because of the increased material costs from the trade war.
It's also Trumps fault that Mars lost its atmosphere 400 million years ago..

Yep, our statements make about the same amount of sense.

It's expensive because of the criminally retarded democrats and their Covidiot campaign

sleek98

Established Member
Saw mills closed/reduced capacity when the pandemic started, rates hit rock bottom, people realized they lived in shit holes when they spent 20 hours a day inside, they had extra cash from not going out to eat/vacation so they spent it on houses and remodels. Demand went sky high while supply was restricted.

Buyers didnt care if the houses went up 50-75k, they know they can afford x,xxx a month and if the 2.5-3% interest rates allowed the extra in cost they didnt blink an eye. The biggest problem is people look at how much per month, not how much total.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
As expected, taking what I said out of context because there's more to building a house than just wood... Anyhow, carry on!

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
As expected, taking what I said out of context because there's more to building a house than just wood... Anyhow, carry on!
Lmao. I didn't take you out of context, just pointed out you didn't know what you were talking about.

Did over 150M in projects during the tariff scare. Way overblown except for some significant upcharges on aluminum products. Other trades and suppliers and people in general fueled the craze.

I shit you not, I had a dirt work guy tell me he needed to charge more for moving dirt? I was like wtf? He said because equipment prices were going up. I said bullshit and you have 15 min to confirm this number. He did not change the number.

Most of that back then was psychological and your friendly builder was just padding to protect himself.

Today many things are crazy just getting.

Why did I spend so long on this reply. Smh

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I placed an order for a boat back in December. The last slot for a dealer to order a new boat went out in January. They are completely sold out based on production capability.
Checked on the boat 3 weeks ago, they were and Malibu was 130 boats behind in production. They are saying it is due to supply chain and personnel issues.
I bet I could sell my slot today for a rather good profit.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

ummm, the title of the thread does say "lumber" so that does tend to be the majority of what we're talking about in here

We built a good size 3 bay lean-to for tractors/equipment last year, glad we bought the wood early last year or we would have scrapped that project

q6543

Established Member
Don't worry, all. Money printing has no downside. The FED tells me inflation is not happening and not a problem...

Well.. in America... OUR FED tells us they are targeting 2.5% and willing to let that run higher to average up for decades of deflation.

NO ONE complained when 55" plasma T.V.s fell from 10,000$ in 2000 to 599$ in 2019... for superior quality at the same time. Technological deflation is a B.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
We just got a permit for a sawmill assembly project. 1 of 2 mills 00frick and an 01frick hydraulic live deck and turners. This will be an enjoyable job. Old school 60 inch blade. Waiting on some structural engineering. I'm at 2k for my wife's chickens. Between the insulated heated small pep house. To the fencing, and bigger coup.
20210407_171809.jpeg
20210407_172049.jpeg
20210407_171923.jpeg
20210407_172144.jpeg
20210407_172602.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Wrong. last year I was paying $3.00 for a 2x4, last week I was quoted $8.50. The only thing that got hit due to the trade war was cedar from Canada and that only lasted for a few months.

Last edited:

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Well.. in America... OUR FED tells us they are targeting 2.5% and willing to let that run higher to average up for decades of deflation.

NO ONE complained when 55" plasma T.V.s fell from 10,000$ in 2000 to 599$ in 2019... for superior quality at the same time. Technological deflation is a B.
Lmao that the PCE doesn't include food and energy.

Adower

Established Member
I’m in CA and a 2x4x8 is 8$ I think prices for a lot of things are up. Check the cost for a used dirt bike.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread