Ls1 in cobra

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
LS1s are great, good luck getting thatthing to fit in your cobra. just use the motor you have now. or sell it and get an 03 04 cobra pretty much built already.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
rsx3025uy3.jpg

picture006wj0.jpg

rsx3023ut5.jpg

rsx302tm2.jpg

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
The above pictures are absolutely sick! I love old school Camaros, never thought I'd see one Ford powered though..

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Fuel mileage has a lot to do with gearing and other factors, not just efficiency (6spds in the ls1 cars > 5 spd in the Cobras.) The real definition of engine efficiency is how much power it makes in relation to CID. 317 lbft tq from a 281 cid engine is more efficient than a 346 cid engine making 340 lbft tq. Now, I'm sure the LS1 is underrated as well, but my bone stock 281 made 343bhp/tq while only rated at 320/317. Not saying the LS1 does or does not have more potential, but it is not a more efficient engine stock for stock. No arguement there.

Have you ever looked at your torque curve(not just your peak). Go find a stock ls1 dyno sheet and look at its curve, enough said.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I dont know how the concept is hard for you to grasp, a motor with 1.1L more displacement getting better mpg than a smaller motor is more efficient:rollseyes

Wrong

But thats fine you can continue to be an ignorant idiot if you want. Its not a some kind of top secret info, and engine is a air pump thats all it is. An ls1 just happens to be better at pumping air than the mod motor.

The amount of air an engine moves determines the amount of horsepower it makes (within reason), and has little to do with BSFC.

Have you ever looked at your torque curve(not just your peak). Go find a stock ls1 dyno sheet and look at its curve, enough said.

Have you?

The LS1 is obviously going to make more low end torque than a mod motor, 281 vs 346. But let's not pretend that the mod motors are some kind of torqueless wonders.

My car makes 280 rwtq (320-330 at the flywheel) at 2200 rpm with a stock longblock, stock heads and oem Ford cams. Not too shabby for a n/a 281.

Last edited:

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Have you?

The LS1 is obviously going to make more low end torque than a mod motor, 281 vs 346. But let's not pretend that the mod motors are some kind of torqueless wonders.

My car makes 280 rwtq (320-330 at the flywheel) at 2200 rpm with a stock longblock, stock heads and oem Ford cams. Not too shabby for a n/a 281.

:lol1: Yes ill go pull the graph off the dyno tommorow of a bone stock 01 with 800 miles on it. And i have graph of mine. Ill post both and we can go from there.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member

How do you have 40 more tq than me at 2200, and what was your A/F at 2200 and at 5k -7k rpm. I was wondering that becuase somehow i dip into the high 11's. Isnt that a little too rich.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I was wondering that becuase somehow i dip into the high 11's. Isnt that a little too rich.
Way too rich.

When compared to other american v-8s they are torqueless wonders. However, they weren't made for torque so there should be no expectations that they will. Hence the reason Cobra's need 4.30s-4.56s to make it through the 1/4 quickly.

Here's a comparison of a modded Mach motor and stock LS1:

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Way too rich.

When compared to other american v-8s they are torqueless wonders. However, they weren't made for torque so there should be no expectations that they will. Hence the reason Cobra's need 4.30s-4.56s to make it through the 1/4 quickly.

This is why I wanted to (and did) a 5.4 32V install.
No shortage of torque there.
God it's fun.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member

When compared to a 346 they are going to be down on low-end torque, I already said as much.

What is this graph of? Looks like a 311 rwhp Mach graphed against a bunch of 340-350 rwhp LS1s?

Here's my graph:
BenSTDDyno-1.gif

01killercobra

Established Member
WoW ! **Edited by moderator, watch it**why would u want to destroy a cobra with only 14k on it.. you should sell it to someone who will appreciate it and then drive a camaro off a cliff..

I thought of doing the opposite. I want to put a cobra motor in a ws6

I wanted to do that also but thinking more along the lines of a 5.4 TT mod motor !

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
What is this graph of? Looks like a 311 rwhp Mach graphed against a bunch of 340-350 rwhp LS1s?

It's a bolt on Mach compared to a stock LS1

WoW ! **Edited by moderator, watch it**why would u want to destroy a cobra with only 14k on it.. you should sell it to someone who will appreciate it and then drive a camaro off a cliff!
It's his car, it's what he wants to do, therefore he's not a jackass. Just because it's something you would'nt do doesn't make it the wrong thing. Also, the car can be put back to stock if he wants too.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I will say this once,
We all know that this idea causes some emotional issues for some but we will play nice.

Next jackass/idiot comment gets someone 2 weeks off.

And I'm not talking about 2 week vacation from work.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Think of it this way....

How much fun would it NOT be if everyone drove around in an LS1? Kinda boring if you ask me. Same can be said for mustangs. Its cool to have a certain car/motor people think its not fast then you show them what it can do.

Lifes a box chocolate folks...... don't worry I won't finish the saying. :D
url

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I dunno:shrug:

Either that's the most liberal dyno on earth, or that LS1 wasn't stock.

Here's some more realistic comparisons from the same dyno.

My car: 1999 GT with 2005 Aviator engine - ported Mach 1 intake, JLT RAI, Kooks LTs, electric w/p, 01 intake cams, aluminum flywheel, full dyno tune:
run20-sae.jpg

2001 Camaro SS - SLP lid, Pacesetter LTs, exhaust, full dyno tune:
blake-01camaro.jpg

2004 GTO (5.7L LS1)- Longtube headers, cold air, full dyno tune:
dredz172-sae.jpg

2006 GTO (6.0L LS2) - Kooks LTs, Magnaflow exhaust, full dyno tune:
bertswartz-06gto.jpg

Yea, the bigger engines make more torque especially below 3500. Big shocker. But no way in hell was that a stock LS1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread