LS not street legal?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
"Also, for those who want optimal track capabilities, the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca is available for just $47,990 – but keep in mind that the Boss 302 Laguna Seca package does not come with a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) thus it is not street legal."

The 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 priced at $40,995 | TorqueNews

...this is NOT the impression I got from all the other Ford media. The impression I had was that the front splitter was not street legal, but otherwise the car itself is.

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
I think they are mistaken and referring to the Boss 302R :shrug:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Yea. The Boss 302 Laguna Seca is called a race car with a license plate. Its a street car. The Boss R is a race car built by Multimatic from a body in white. No VIN. The confusion comes from that the Cobra R was a street car and there are some that think the Boss 302r is the Laguna Seca.

sprint200

Established Member
There may also be some confusion from other press release comments.

In "factory delivered" condition, the Laguna Seca IS street legal. As soon as the "customer" installs the splitter, it is no longer "street legal". This is because the car was never crash tested with the splitter installed and won't meet federal crash testing standards because of the splitter.

As far as I know, that is the only issue of concern with the Laguna Seca, but when it comes to over-zelous government officials, you never know:fart:

It most definitely DOES have a VIN, though!

The Boss 302R on the other hand................:D

Users who are viewing this thread