LPW Differential Cover Issues

Fast GTO

Established Member
Just wondering if any had trouble getting the differential to mount properly once you put this cover on. I got mine on fine but can't fit it back in because it contacts the subframe. I have MM rear bushings and the car is lowered....

Advice?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's the MM rear bushings.:nonono:

I'll try to find the thread.

EDIT: Well I found it but it was a Fore cover thread... sorry.

If you can not get the MM bushing to mount up the cover may need some clearancing/grinding/machining.

Last edited:

Fast GTO

Established Member
Thanks. I'd appreciate that. I was searching as well.

He got the tru trac, 3.73's, and rebuild in fine with better than tolerance lash but ran into a snag with the cover so he just cleaned up the stocker and reinstalled with the BF brace.

Big pain in the butt. Trying to get things ready for the Nurburgring this season. Have the Cobra R fronts, brake cooling ducts (need new ducting), trans rebuilt, and now the rear worked out so this cover is the last piece for off season upgrades.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks. I'd appreciate that. I was searching as well.

He got the tru trac, 3.73's, and rebuild in fine with better than tolerance lash but ran into a snag with the cover so he just cleaned up the stocker and reinstalled with the BF brace.

Big pain in the butt. Trying to get things ready for the Nurburgring this season. Have the Cobra R fronts, brake cooling ducts (need new ducting), trans rebuilt, and now the rear worked out so this cover is the last piece for off season upgrades.

If you are not running a diff cooler, you may want to fab up a catch can, the inside of our diff is tiny so when the fluid expands and gets hot, on some cars it gets puked out onto the exhaust pipes often resulting in a black flag.:nonono:

It has not happened to me.... yet. But it has happened to many.

Maynor

Established Member
If you are not running a diff cooler, you may want to fab up a catch can, the inside of our diff is tiny so when the fluid expands and gets hot, on some cars it gets puked out onto the exhaust pipes often resulting in a black flag.:nonono:

It has not happened to me.... yet. But it has happened to many.

Raises hand. Guilty. The black flag for a smoking rear end got old quick too. :-D

Black10thSVT

Established Member
Just wondering if any had trouble getting the differential to mount properly once you put this cover on. I got mine on fine but can't fit it back in because it contacts the subframe. I have MM rear bushings and the car is lowered....

Advice?

Did you just use the MM Delrin bushing or the MM Rear Carrier mount. You cant use the mount with the LPW. It lowers it.

Fast GTO

Established Member
I need to check. The rear end bushings were put in by the last owner.

Did some more searching and came across someone who said they got the LPW in even with the solid diff mount from MM. I pm'd him to make sure. I am pretty sure I just have their bushings.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Did you just use the MM Delrin bushing or the MM Rear Carrier mount. You cant use the mount with the LPW. It lowers it.

MM does NOT make a Delrin rear mount. FTBR is the only one that makes the Delrin rear mounting bushing that will work with ALL OEM applications along with BOTH aftermarket covers, Fore and LPW.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Did some more searching and came across someone who said they got the LPW in even with the solid diff mount from MM. I pm'd him to make sure.

there are a couple of guys on here who have made it work, but it requires machining of the mount and/or the cover

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Here is what the stock metal parts look like with Delrin bushings.
Aftermarket covers are designed to use stock mounting parts for the most part.

ModsNstuff39.jpg

Fast GTO

Established Member
Car is done, work was done very well. Got the LPW on no issue.

Even with 3.73's there is a big difference in RPM on the autobahn, especially around 100mph and up.

Rear end is a tight virgin again. You can feel the difference between the LSD and TruTrac. TruTrac is effortless and it really feels like more power on the ground. Does have a slight whine to it but not a big deal. Probably only notice it because of no rear seats. I had a vibration before the rear end work that would show up around 100 and probably went away because the IRS was dropped out and the pinion angle re-set. Now I can go up to 140mph+ without the driveline feeling like it will explode.

I will say that the stock rear wing is garbage and not up to the stress at those speeds. The trunk lid kept flexing really bad over 110/120.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Car is done, work was done very well. Got the LPW on no issue.

Even with 3.73's there is a big difference in RPM on the autobahn, especially around 100mph and up.

Rear end is a tight virgin again. You can feel the difference between the LSD and TruTrac. TruTrac is effortless and it really feels like more power on the ground. Does have a slight whine to it but not a big deal. Probably only notice it because of no rear seats. I had a vibration before the rear end work that would show up around 100 and probably went away because the IRS was dropped out and the pinion angle re-set. Now I can go up to 140mph+ without the driveline feeling like it will explode.

I will say that the stock rear wing is garbage and not up to the stress at those speeds. The trunk lid kept flexing really bad over 110/120.

That almost sounds like you might have a GoPro video of that flexing..:shrug:
Post it up! I sure hope you weren't looking over your shoulder at those speeds LOL!:eek:

Been lots of guys gone faster than that without issues from the stock duck tail.

If you are looking for real world effective aero though, I would look into a
G-Stream splitter and wing combo. That's what the new BOSS302S comes with. You can remove the splitter fairly easy for urban usage. The wing you are going to be stuck with unless you snag a spare deck lid from the junk yard, and swap the winged lid on for track.

Fast GTO

Established Member
I could see and hear it flexing in the rear view mirror. The stock win feels like it is plastic wrapped around a hard shell and so the outer shell was slapping the inner causing the noise and flex...very odd.

Fast GTO

Established Member
Getting the rear rebuilt was a great idea, fixed a number of issues and just makes the power come on better (i.e. to the ground).

Stock spoiler is causing issues though. Pushings on it seems as if it is a wrapped spoiler and not a single solid piece.

SPoole

Established Member
I have MAYNOR's old car and am having the diff rebuilt and re geared right now. I found this thread by researching the use of the LPW cover.
So if I decide to go with the LPW cover and the MM mount, is there a chance it would work, or will it definitely need machining?
BTW, the sig pic is hi-jacked from MAYNOR

Users who are viewing this thread