lowest operating RPM's for GT

SirJAG

Established Member
quick question:

What are the lowest cruseing RPM's you guys run at in your mustangs?

i hear a wierd rattleing sound around 1100-1500rmps in 2nd and 3rd...is that noise i hear called pinging? and how harmful is it?

i generally keep the rpms between 2-3K in all gears, unless i am getting on it, then its around 6500 obviously.

thanks for your time,
JAG

chao5.0

Established Member
cruising I try to keep it around 1800-2k as long as I'm around the speed limit, but on the highway at 70+ its usually turning over 2k because of the 3.55 gears.

Rct851

Established Member
2k plus unless cruising in sixth. 3.31 gear so if in cruising anything lower than that and need to maneuver or pass the car can't get out of its own way

let's just say if the speed limit is between gears for cruising then I'm going to gear down and keep my rpms. Sounds better anyway

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Do you have an off-road midpipe? Mine used to rattle/verberate around that same RPM like it was a loose clamp or something.

SirJAG

Established Member
just cut out the resonators, and gt500 mufflers.

i was pretty sure all these motors made this noise at very low rpm, hell i though all engines did it...i wonder now...

5lho

Established Member
just cut out the resonators, and gt500 mufflers.

i was pretty sure all these motors made this noise at very low rpm, hell i though all engines did it...i wonder now...

You are definitely lugging the shit out of it at 1100 rpm. the noise is probably coming from the manual trans because there's too little load on the gears.

SirJAG

Established Member
I'm never driving at that rpm it's just happened a couple of times by accident and I was curious as to that noise

thank you

chao5.0

Established Member
more than likely the noise you are hearing at 1100 is from the drivetrain from lugging the engine, it'll happen to me every once in a while when taking off and I'm not really giving it enough throttle to pull through the low rpms fast enough.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I have a rattle noise at low rpms but it is only because of the mcleod rxt. The thing rattles horribly at around 1800 rpms.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Happens in my car all the time, especially in traffic or rolling through a slow moving intersection.... Every manual car will make a similar noise when the engine is lugged at too low of an RPM, as long as you dont romp on it at like 1000RPM and let it come up naturally you'll be fine.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
quick question:

What are the lowest cruising RPM's you guys run at in your mustangs?

i hear a weird rattling sound around 1100-1500rmps in 2nd and 3rd...is that noise i hear called pinging? and how harmful is it?

i generally keep the rpms between 2-3K in all gears, unless i am getting on it, then its around 6500 obviously.

thanks for your time,
JAG
Hello SirJAG,

I recommend you bring it in get it checked out at your dealer and speak to your service manager about this. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread