Lowering a 98 Stang

blacksnake1960

Established Member
Hi, well the time has come to finally lower my stang and Im looking for instructions on how to accomplish this task. Any suggestions.

Venmous28

Established Member
well, you didnt say what kind of springs you have and some may be longer than others. i have motorsport c springs and the fronts can fit in without compressing.

first pick the front or rear to do and jack it up and use jack stands.

front - remove wheel, remove caliper by remove the c-clip and pin and support with something so it doesnt hang by the brake line. now, place floor jack under the a arm- undo strut by taking the 2 lower bolts off. then loosen the sway bar end link nut on the top. SLOWLY lower the jack and the a arm should fall with the jack. (be careful spring is still under tension and can fly out.) lower it all the way and the spring should still be in its place. (i then pressed down on the a arm some and it was loose enough to remove) some car i have done the spring needs to be pryed out..be careful. replace spring and re-install as taken apart.

rear - remove tire. place jack under control arm, then remove bottom shock bolt and quad shock. lower jack and there should be enough clearance to get spring out..

the first time i did this on my car it took 6 hrs...and the last time i did it was about 1.5 hrs...so...it may take a while but this is the quickest way i have found yet.

Last edited:

blacksnake1960

Established Member
Thanks Venmous for the info. I will let you know how it turned out.
If I break my arm in the process it will take a while to reply.

Users who are viewing this thread