Lower Pulley Removal

03yellow

Established Member
Here are the things that "can be" a waste of time:

Beat it with a hammer

Using a 4ft breaker bar

Trying different gears:(just put it in gear)

Get a bigger bar or wrench

##@@$%%^&^**

Get mean with it

Use your legs

Hold it and hit it with a hammer.

****If you want to get it off in 30 seconds here is what you do:

1)The stock lower pulley has three spokes; set one of the spokes at the 3:00 position as your face the car from the front.

2)Place the car in gear & set the park brake.

3) Remove all cage bolts.

4) Take a 2ft iron rod,pipe or whatever and place inside the pulley on top of the 3:00 pulley spoke. Hit down on the rod with a hammer about 5 times (hard.... make it ring) moving the crank pulley clockwise.

5) Done Deal. Its the quick,sharp, jarring that gets it off easy

Last edited:

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
put it in 6th gear get a breaker bar on it, then put a 5ft piece of square steel on the breaker bar get a big hammer and proceed to beat the piss out of the steel!! worked for me =)

Nick

BLK04

Established Member
1. 18" breaker bar pointing at 6:00 on the pulley.
2. Place feet against the inside of the driver's side tire for leverage.
3. Grip breaker bar with both hands and pull like a mofo.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
easier way: breaker bar @8 o'clock, jack it up with a floor jack. when it picks up the front tire (in my case) push down on the radiator support. ohh yea, if its a high mileage lower, skip the 1/2" tools and reach for the 3/4 stuff.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Just wanted to bump this thread...this method took me literally 30 seconds after I had been beating, cussing, and throwing shit for 30 minutes.

Big thanks to the OP...if he's even around anymore.

:beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
It's funny that I used this same method a couple of days ago, and it was a piece of cake to get it off. Took maybe 3 hits at the most, then I was able to spin it right off with my hand!

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Very helpful

Reviving this thread because of how helpful it was. There is bound to be another guy out there putting on a lower pulley kit. I found the breaker bar at 8 o'clock and use a jack to push it up method to be most helpful. Mine was especially stubborn. Once there was tension on the breaker bar, I had to use the OP's method of wacking the crap out the spoke at 3 o'clock with a big pry bar. It was a huge pain in the ass but worth it. I will dyno in a few days.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Reviving this thread because of how helpful it was. There is bound to be another guy out there putting on a lower pulley kit. I found the breaker bar at 8 o'clock and use a jack to push it up method to be most helpful. Mine was especially stubborn. Once there was tension on the breaker bar, I had to use the OP's method of wacking the crap out the spoke at 3 o'clock with a big pry bar. It was a huge pain in the ass but worth it. I will dyno in a few days.

old thread...i use a bar in drive shaft yoke..than it comes off like a normall bolt.....i go from bottom being its open..i have car on ramps where i can use my legs to push on breaker bar..

i have taken this off many times ...i had to rebuild the tribar post to pulley..

i had did a thread this year on it..

Users who are viewing this thread