lower pulley disassembly

mustangman36578

Established Member
anyone know if there is a write up anywhere on how to disassemble the lower pulley? my inner belt broke and some of the belt material wrapped up inside the lower crank pulley. i was able to get all the pieces i could see but now when i spin it freely i can feel a little more than normal resistance and it sounds like there is a little bit of the belt stuck in there still.

mustangman36578

Established Member
those are great instructions hotcobra but i already have it off the car. trying to disassemble the actual pulley from the cage. Yea that allen screw sucks! everytime ive taken it off its a PITA and i usually have to use a long bar on the end of a breaker bar along with the car in gear, the rear tires blocked, parking brake up and brakes fully compressed! it sucked doing it at the track. didnt have a breaker bar and had to use my torque wrench. ended up standing on it in the engine bay and jumping up and down on it with both feet about 5 or 6 jumps until it came loose and im about 200 lbs! ive tried searching for a write up but wasnt having any luck. I will search for it some more though.

hotcobra03

Established Member
those are great instructions hotcobra but i already have it off the car. trying to disassemble the actual pulley from the cage. Yea that allen screw sucks! everytime ive taken it off its a PITA and i usually have to use a long bar on the end of a breaker bar along with the car in gear, the rear tires blocked, parking brake up and brakes fully compressed! it sucked doing it at the track. didnt have a breaker bar and had to use my torque wrench. ended up standing on it in the engine bay and jumping up and down on it with both feet about 5 or 6 jumps until it came loose and im about 200 lbs! ive tried searching for a write up but wasnt having any luck. I will search for it some more though.

YOU WONT SEE THAT ..see 4lb lower pulley with cage...im going to try after i get another 1..

i had sent pm to him asking how it comes apart..he claims its threaded on.

looking in pics it appears you need to make a socket to fit the tri bar to hold tight and allen gets turned..

im assuming its also reverse threads so when engine is spinning its always tying to tighten,

my lower has shot rubbers the tri bar that had 1/2 post is now 1/8 and flat.the pulley itself is about done.

if i had a plasma cutter i was going to cut tri bar shape in a frame rail to make a wrench or something to hold cage

Last edited:

mustangman36578

Established Member
thanks! i will make a tool for the front at work tomorrow. i made an 18mm square socket at the other day and put 2 dowel pins in the holes and tried holding it with a pry bar but the square socket rounded out.

hotcobra03

Established Member
thanks! i will make a tool for the front at work tomorrow. i made an 18mm square socket at the other day and put 2 dowel pins in the holes and tried holding it with a pry bar but the square socket rounded out.

lmk how you makeout..ive been thinking of how to without putting anything on/thru pulley..

i dont want to use heat until i really know its just threaded..if heat is needed.

i think its just that 1 good crack and it should spin off..

i cant see any threads but see i have a piece of plastic/fiber in it from shield on radiator hose.

i can see it being pressed together but hard to hold to press apart..

than thinking of how important it is for it to hold if pressed it should have a nut/bolt on it like alt/sc

mustangman36578

Established Member
that shit is on there!!! fabricated a tool with 3 dowel pins to go in the 3 holes on the pulley with 1/2" thick square stock. the handle was roughly 3 feet long with an additional 3 ft long pipe on the end. used a 9/16" allen socket with my breaker bar and a 5 ft pipe on the end of that and had a friend on one bar while I went the other way with the other bar. we went as if it was reverse thread. used a good amount of heat and cosmoline oil but that b**ch would not budge. The breaker bar was flexing and the 1/2" square stock ended up bending. while trying to straighten the bar a dowel pin broke off so tomorrow i will make another one with thicker shit and give it a try. Might try to loosen it as if it is normal thread tomorrow since it did nothing trying it as reverse thread...

hotcobra03

Established Member
that shit is on there!!! fabricated a tool with 3 dowel pins to go in the 3 holes on the pulley with 1/2" thick square stock. the handle was roughly 3 feet long with an additional 3 ft long pipe on the end. used a 9/16" allen socket with my breaker bar and a 5 ft pipe on the end of that and had a friend on one bar while I went the other way with the other bar. we went as if it was reverse thread. used a good amount of heat and cosmoline oil but that b**ch would not budge. The breaker bar was flexing and the 1/2" square stock ended up bending. while trying to straighten the bar a dowel pin broke off so tomorrow i will make another one with thicker shit and give it a try. Might try to loosen it as if it is normal thread tomorrow since it did nothing trying it as reverse thread...

i was thinking the whole tri bar not something to go into those tiny holes..im expecting the same tightness as getting it off car..having something large and heavy to hold the pulley that you can put a 5ft bar on allen to screw it from the pulley

Last edited:

mustangman36578

Established Member
I sent a PM to WS6JJP (the guy who was disassembling these and putting different pulleys on the cage) and the only thing he said is this:
"There may be a write somewhere on svtp, but I wouldn't advise disassembling your lower, there are a few specialty tools needed to properly put everything back together. They're not really made to be taken apart."
sent another PM saying that it basically wont matter if i cant get it back together because the pulley would be done for any way due to the amount of resistance there is from belt material stuck inside there which is not visible and simply asked if it is threaded on and if so reverse or normal but no response yet.

mustangman36578

Established Member
I was thinking those 8mm holes might be there for some kind of specialty too to remove it. not sure where else i could hold the pulley in place to disassemble. the square in the back seems to shallow to use any torque. the piece i made for that rounded out.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I was thinking those 8mm holes might be there for some kind of specialty too to remove it. not sure where else i could hold the pulley in place to disassemble. the square in the back seems to shallow to use any torque. the piece i made for that rounded out.

i have 2 pieces of frame rail for homemade ramp..im going to trace tri bar and cut hole in rail..bolt caged pulley to rail just to hold up tri into frame, than use 14mm hex and unscrew it..

trbo vmn also says it screws off

Users who are viewing this thread