lower control arms... sub frame conn??

Bruno

Established Member
lower control arms... sub frame conn..?

What are my options to make my car, " more stable,". That is to say i have a 91 gt. And when going over speed bumps or uneven ground the car's body has a lot of Flex. I"m not looking to make my car drive rougher.. just more tight.. hope this makes sense.

which should i consider?; subframe connector, chassi strengtheners (is this the same as sub conns?), would lower control arms help?

info on this would be very much appreciated.

:-?

Last edited:

SL 1993 R

Established Member
Three things I have used with success to strengthen the chassis and reduce cowl shake are:

Strut tower brace. This will tie the top of the strut towers to each other and the firewall/cowl.

K-member brace. This piece mounts under the car and provides additional bracing for the K-member. The K-member is the piece that goes between the front frame rails under the motor.

Subframe connectors. These will tie the front and rear subframes together. If you decide to purchase these, spend the extra money and get the ones that have the seat reinforcement.

While your doing all that you might want to consider installing urethane bushings in the front suspension. They will cause the suspension to work properly. As your car is 10+ years old now. The rubber bushings have probably started to breakdown.

I've had good success with Maxim Motorsports, but there are lots of companies offering these components. Hope this helps you....

Bruno

Established Member
thanks that deff. leads me in a direction... on another topic do you have a scca club there in fresno; or any kind of motorsport organization? I have been looking for something around me but have come up with nothing.

thanks again for the info.

SL 1993 R

Established Member
There are more things in your neck of the woods, then here. Have you tried open track yet? Where a club rents a race facility and its members run there cars. I sold my Cobra 289 fia replica to a guy in Santa Monica who open tracks it with the LA Shelby Club and the Cobra Owners Club of America. Both of these clubs allow mustangs in there open track events....

If you haven't tried this, be fore warned, it will become addicting.:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
New upper and lower control arms in the rear will help too, stock bushing are poorly inadequate. My upper rears went at 40K miles.

Bruno

Established Member
Are there some (upp&lowr control arms) you would recommend? I've heard some about Maximum motorsports. Also why didn't you mention somethign for the front of the car? Is improvment more significant in the rear?

thanks for all the info.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
With the age of the vehilce the entire suspension is getting a little old. If the car has been in bad weather, snow and slag on the roads, that just speeds up the aging process. I say bushings all the way around. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread