Low numbers after cam install

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Panic post.

The car has been in the shop for cams.

Received a call today that the car is only making 15# and around 500rwhp. Needless to say I’m concerned.

2.9 gen 4 crusher
3.2 upper/stock lower
Todd cams
LT 3 in all the way back.

I’m dropping off 2# and 4# lower rings tomorrow.

15 seems awfully low. The more I’m researching and reading I’m worried the cams aren’t degreed correctly.

I was planning on 750-800 on e85. Am I over thinking this and all will be well once I spin it harder or do I have bigger issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotSatisfied

Established Member
485BDE5A-F2A6-4C8F-A0B6-9555F595720F.jpeg

Saw your FB post, it’s simple to check the bypass! Use a snake camera

Also, cams have more overlap, it’s possible they weren’t degreed correctly. But check the easy stuff first- the bypass!

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I made a post on FB and many are suggesting it’s a plumbing or boost bypass issue.

We’ll start there and hopefully it’s an easy dumb fix

3E5A5678-C68C-4167-87A9-3A74F02FC080.jpeg

You will more than likely have to take the blower apart to swap it out. Mine was opposite. It was always closed, essentially cooking the blower. Was cruising around at 160-170* IATs, always under boost.

94slowbra1

Established Member
FYI our set ups are almost identical, except I have a built Longblock at 10:1 comp. Todd's cams, gen 4 crusher, headers with 3" catback and a 3.25 pulley. Makes right at 20 lbs. No power numbers yet buy I can tell you, even on 15* timing, this thing is violent. Still working on the tune but I'm going to day something is wrong here. Vac lines, gaskets, boost bypass, something easy.
What is the tuner saying? He has to think it's off too?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Definitely could be the cams, but check the simple stuff first. Bypass, smoke the blower/intake and check for leaks.

My bypass was getting caught on my fuel rail fitting, was bleeding off 4 psi. Same thing was happening. Was pullied for 22 psi… was only making 18. I’ve since fixed this and am back to making full boost again.

What else was changed on the car? Did they pull the motor or do them in the car? Removed blower? Intake, lower?

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I had a chance to go to the shop and talk.

He hasn’t thrown any timing at the car yet. What he is seeing is the initial hit with be around 18# and then it slowly tapers off at higher RPMs.

The cams were put in straight up and were not degreed.

I heard the car run and visually inspected hoses. Nothing obvious. I spoke with Todd, he said that I could see my boost taper off like that if the intake cams were extremely retarded.

The shop is going to remove the blower and check the boost bypass and double check all the hoses and routing.

I’ll update the post as information comes in. I appreciate everyone’s help.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I always leakdown engines after a cam install to verify correct install.

What does the shop who did the work think? They shouldn't be looking to you for ideas on what's wrong, they need to figure it out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If the cams weren’t checked base circle could be off like my comp cams were and now the straight up cams are retarded (I believe that’s what they said after checking my cans before install but I’m a camshaft idiot)

I’d definitely be checking the blower to mid plate gasket along with belt/idler/tensioner set up

Users who are viewing this thread