Low numbers after cam install

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
This is exactly why I won’t do cams on these cars. They’re nothing like any other set up

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
If they didn't degree them that was a total waste of time. On my 96 cobra cams one was off 9 degrees when installed dot to dot, the other side almost 6 degrees.
It was discussed when I dropped the car off that these were custom spec'd cams and they needed to be degreed. I'm working with them to get it done.

Unfortunate for me. I ordered these cams July 2021. Waited a year for them to show up, and waited on the shop to get them installed because they were busy. Now I have to wait even longer to get them redone..... Very frustrating.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Its all good as long as its right when I get it back.

They'll be working on it next week, so hopefully I'll have some good news then.

cj428mach

Established Member
I guess I should clarify that was just the exhaust cams. Once they were brought into spec the intakes were dead on. Obviously if the exhaust was off 9 degrees and once fixed the intake was correct, then the intake was off 9 degrees to start with too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
At least you're making some progress with the shop. I'm really surprised they didn't degree them after you specifically told them it had to be done. This shop is high regarded? :unsure: I'm really hoping you get this done painlessly from this point to completion.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Talked to them on friday, Cams are good to go. re inspected all hoses and bypass to ensure there was no nicks or cuts in them.

They also did a compression check just in case. All cylinders were within in 5PSI of each other. So that was reassuring. Was told they would start the tuning Monday or today. Hoping for good new sometime this week. I'd really like to be able to drive it this weekend!!

IllCobra

Established Member
Talked to them on friday, Cams are good to go. re inspected all hoses and bypass to ensure there was no nicks or cuts in them.

They also did a compression check just in case. All cylinders were within in 5PSI of each other. So that was reassuring. Was told they would start the tuning Monday or today. Hoping for good new sometime this week. I'd really like to be able to drive it this weekend!!
So they actually degreed them this time? What did they find after inspecting everything? I hope they're not charging you extra for this after you told them they had to be degreed. Best of luck and fill us in on the process.

IllCobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear your troubles Nate. If it wasn’t so far of a drive for you I wish you went to MHS and had Jordan so your cams. I hope it all works out for you and I can hear it in person.
That's who I plan on taking mine to when I am ready to do cams.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any updates, Nate? I hope everything is going well, or did go well, at the shop.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Car is still dropping boost at 4k rpms.

Sounds like a failed boost bypass. Others had the exact same symptoms. So I ordered another one from whipple.

Also ordered a new tensioner to rule out any belt slip that maybe occurring.

The wait continues.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
To be honest because I’m running out of things to do to the car.

And of course the sound of a cammed cobra is beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guilty, same reason I have them. Would I say I regret it no, dollar for dollar waste kind of. I stopped messing with the car, WOT is pretty much pointless and gets me in trouble.

Like above hang in there. You're not a true car guy without a nightmare story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread