Low hanging exhaust

whitelightning9

Established Member
Just out of curiosity do you guys have a problem with your exhaust hanging low? On my 95 cobra I have a bbk o/r/h-pipe and a flowmaster catback. I bet where the h-pipe and the catback join together there is only about an inch and a half of clearance to the ground!! I had almost the same combo on my old 91 GT and the same result as well, so I just knid of wrote it off as just being that way, both cars have/had lowering springs but the 95 seems to have plenty of room for the exhaust to be tucked higher to the under side of the car than it is. Am I crazy or does anyone else notice this too??? When I go over speed bumps I have to take them at an angle and still scrape the h-pipe but the body of the car has plenty of clearance!! Also I am only lowered about 1 1/2" up front and about 1 1/4 in the back. Any thoughts??

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
My h-pipe hangs pretty low. Everytime I see roadkill I gotta completely go around it. Same thing with speedbumps.

moonltgold

I have Magnaflow mufflers about 2.25-2.5" off the ground and it is a problem in front where it meets the mid-pipe. I'm lowered about 1.5" with coilovers -- and I don't want to have to lift the car if I don't have to. My mid-pipe is fine for clearance. I am thinking of eliminating the mufflers altogether and just running straight pipes. That would give me an extra 1" clearance. I'm wondering if this would be too loud -- I do have a catted Mag-X along with Bassani baffles in the tailpipes, so at least I have other things to suppress noise. I'll let you know how loud this is when I do it.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I have BBK LT's and BBK shorty O/R-H pipe and i have no scraping issues whatsoever...and that with lowering springs too. The exhaust is tucked up against the undercarriage as it should be or as the stock pipes were.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
I have a 2" drop and a SLP x-pipe it out of the three I have had on my car gives me the best clearance...but it is still the lowest part on my car and scrapes on stuff like speed bumps

svt fetish

SVT FREAK
Established Member
I have a Bassani catted X and cat back and 1 and a half inch drop but I only scrape on the tallest of speed bumps but I also have 18's.

whitelightning9

Established Member
Thanks for the response guys, I just wondered what everyone else thought. It just seems as though the exhaust could be higher, it sure seems as touhg there is more room but they just seem to hang low!! I really don't scrap unless its a speed bump, other than that all is good, however if I have to deal with a low exhast I might as well try long tubes!! Hey raven69david what is the lowest part of your exhaust with the long tubes?? Thinking of going that route as I plan on a s-trim in the future as well.....Any numbers on yours yet?? thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread