Loud, sharp thud after differential install

pridemore54

Established Member
Sounds like you may have found your issue. The two 60mm bolts attach the rear cover to the diff mount. The 80 mm bolt attaches the diff mount to the subframe assembly. I think you know what you have to do from here.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Ahhh I see what you're saying. Now that makes sense.

Thankfully, I never took that mount off. So we're good to go there. Although I should have at least checked to make sure it was still tight.

MG0h3

Established Member
Update:

Got under the car to check the 4(?) diff mounting bolts. I was easily able to get another half turn or more on all 4.

My guess is after hooking everything up to the diff again, it took out some binding I didn't realize was there.

I'd like to test drive and see if the slop/thud is gone, but it's been raining here all day unfortunately.

Side note, I noticed my exhaust tips point downwards at an angle. Not sure how I managed to do that. Gonna see what I can do to correct that if anyone has advice.

If the tips are down, you probably tightened the x/h to tailpipe clamps while pushing up too much.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

pridemore54

Established Member
Problem solved. Just went on a test drive and now it feels rock solid in the rear and drivetrain, even more so than before dropping the diff. Can't feel any slop at all. The FRPP diff cover is definitely a noticeable difference.

My best guess is I had some binding and after reassembling the half shafts, control arms, and driveshaft, it settled in and loosened up. Or maybe I'm just an idiot and didn't use my torque wrench right lol

Users who are viewing this thread