Loud clicking noise when turning left

Palacios289

Established Member
Happy Sunday to all. I just came back from a spirited drive on Angeles Crest Highway. (So-cal). On the way back down I noticed a loud clicking/popping noise when I turn left. Doesn’t make noise turning right nor straight. I can’t figure out if it’s from the front or rear. I did a brief google search and actually found a YouTube video of the same exact noise. The OP on YouTube never posted anything about what it was. Help please!

Palacios289

Established Member
62000 miles. Street driven. I’m going to get the Cobra on jackstands and check the fluid. This all started suddenly today during some spirited driving in the mountains.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If all that checks out, you can put it on jack stands, brake off in neutral. Since it is doing it in a left turn, have someone hold light resistance to the left wheel, while you turn the right wheel. I'm not sure you can develop enough torque to make it click or pop. If you hear it sounding off, it is possible that the spider gears shit the bed.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Bad steering rack bushings could also cause a noise similar to that. Any play in the wheel, car hunting on the highway or unusual steering corrections? Give that steering rack a tug to make sure it's gudntite.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Other stuff to consider are wheel bearings, ball joints, motor and trans mounts and any other number of things that could have worn out or worked loose.

Palacios289

Established Member
Thanks. No steering play. Steering is nice and tight. Ball joints are newer Steeda X2. I’m going start with the rear end and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread