Lots of traction problems

Pantera

I have a stock 1997 SVT Convertable with a chip.(12,000 miles)
The car has not been driven hard as I bought it for my wife and now she doesn't want it anymore, so I started driving it.
The problem is when shifting into 2 at 6500 the car will lay a lot of rubber and go sideways.
Or if I short shift at 2500 into 3rd and at 3700 the car will go sideways.
So how do you drive 'em hard and get foreward traction?
This thing may have to be sold before I hurt myself.

Larry

MARK C

Established Member
Traction!

Larry,
I put a set of subframe connecters and rear lower control arms on my Cobra and I gained over 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile! Not to menchon my Cobra now feels about 30 % stiffer. I would go side ways both ways when I grabed a good 2'nd. Now it just HOOKS & GOES!!
I had a convert (93) before my Cobra. What a big diff. when I put the subs on the convert! The subs whould be a big help for you.More solid feel! The control arms whould help more for traction.
Hope this helps
Mark

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Well being that he doesn't have 400+HP, I would think it would be safe to say he'd gain from upper/lower control arms :)
There is a TON of varieties out there for control arms also.
Wife's loss... your gain! :D

scjmach1

Established Member
My 98 Cobra used to jump to the left every time I shifted hard to second. Even shifting at only 6000 rpm it would jump to the left. I found out my stock t-lok was worn out. The clutches were so bad I could turn one tire by hand with the other tire on the ground. I replaced it with an Eaton posi and 31-spline axles and it tracks straight.
Check your t-lok first.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Pantera
I have a stock 1997 SVT Convertable with a chip.(12,000 miles)
The car has not been driven hard as I bought it for my wife and now she doesn't want it anymore, so I started driving it.
The problem is when shifting into 2 at 6500 the car will lay a lot of rubber and go sideways.
Or if I short shift at 2500 into 3rd and at 3700 the car will go sideways.
So how do you drive 'em hard and get foreward traction?
This thing may have to be sold before I hurt myself.

Larry

If you are going sideways at 3700 in third something is wrong. I would check the T lok and rear suspension. A stock 97 Vert without gears shouldn't be doing that.

Pantera

Thanks, Your input will be utilized.
I'll probably drive the Cobra untill I get the Pantera engine back to new status. I have been driving it since 1972. No traction problems here, of course with 700 pounds of cast iron over the rear wheels, that is expected.
Driving a mid engine vs a front engine car takes some getting used to.
Again thanks, I'll drive with caution and stay of the gas. Could be why the wife said that I could have it. She is real happy with her 52 MPG Prius.

Users who are viewing this thread