Lots of stupid questions for you...

blacksheep-1

Established Member
The last time I was at the drags was 43 years ago but I made a mistake of making a pass in my gt500 and sort of got hooked again. (12.64@110, I screwed up and let off in the lights).
In any case, I was thinking of picking up a local 94 V6 car, ripping it apart, caging it and putting a 331 in it. I'd like to keep a 4 speed in it, because I just like rowing a 4 speed, I also have an 8.8 lying around with a true trac.
I'm thinking I can get the weight down to around 2200 pounds, since UPR is right next door to me I intend to use their stuff up front,and keep the 4 link, using their sway bar and all in the rear. Single 4 bbl, aluminum heads....etc. redline about 6k.
I'd like to know about the final drive gearing, and also the need for mini tubs, what would fit under the rear fenders without mods.
My target ai low 12, high 11s, I'm even thinking about running a hydraulic cam just because I'm kind of old and just want to have fun with this thing. I basically have a clean slate, so any input would be appreciated.
The whole idea of this is a simple, fun ride, not a lifetime career.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Low 12's , High 11's will come pretty easily with a well planned out setup such as that, especially with a nice suspension setup and if you can get the car down near that weight. That would be taking about 1000#s off the car, I'm not sure if you'll be able to do that, but it would be sweet. I feel like 2700,2800 could be more realistic weight ?? I could be wrong on that though. You would need to be in the 330-350 rwhp range. 26X10" slick should be enough tire for those goals and fit easily in the fender without modification, 4:10's or 4:30's should be enough gearing.

For comparison, I am really hoping for an 11.99 this season, my car is still mostly in street trim. I'm making 350 rwhp and 1/4 mile calculator says I need to be 3000lbs race weight to have a shot.

Good luck, would love to follow your build once you get it kicked off !

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Very cool. I'm trying to think back when I had my SN car. I think I actually had a 26X8.5 slicks on it, that was a while ago, but no issues with clearance at all. On a 10" slick you might need to take wheel back spacing into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread