Lots of oil on spark plugs??

termcobra281

Established Member
Anyone ever seen this much oil on plugs? I down a c/r check and it came out good, I replaced the rubber seals on the cam covers/valve covers also and still have this problem.... Checked out this picture and all pl
20190209_235605.jpg
ugs look the same.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Are we sure it's sealing correctly? Thats alot of oil. How do all the plugs look. Take pictures of everything and report back

termcobra281

Established Member
Are we sure it's sealing correctly? Thats alot of oil. How do all the plugs look. Take pictures of everything and report back
To be honest I took the engine out and started the process of rebuilding it. All the plugs did look the same and honestly I cant figure out what it could have been. I wanted to throw this on to see if anyone has seen such a thing. It pretty strange to me.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
To be honest I took the engine out and started the process of rebuilding it. All the plugs did look the same and honestly I cant figure out what it could have been. I wanted to throw this on to see if anyone has seen such a thing. It pretty strange to me.
To me looks like the valve cover seals are not sitting correctly or tq all the way.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
After seeing one of the cam cover bolts back itself out on the driver's side head of my engine, which has never been opened since new, I've added checking those for tightness as a maintenance item.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly what others said. It's the spark plug O rings that are giving you the problem.
Before you reinstall them, put a couple small dabs of gasket sealer on the spark plug holes on the valve cover.

Hopefully you can just reuse them. Otherwise I think you need to buy a new gasket kit for the valve covers.

termcobra281

Established Member
Thanks guys. I did put brand new spark plug seals on the covers. When I pulled everything apart they was still attached and looked good. Maybe it was a seal problem.

termcobra281

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. When I get the engine all back together I will put some weatherstrip adhesive on them. I will buy brand new gaskets and seals, no use in trying to pinch a few dollars for something thats kind of a witch to pull back off...

Users who are viewing this thread