Lost excitement for this car.. (13 Laguna Seca)

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Just spoke to the service manager working on my car and they determined the culprit to be the...

Variable Cam Timers (VCT's)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm about to dive into the internet to see what this part is all about, but just checking to see if you guys knew this is a major component/problem.

ive had this issue on my '12 GT. there is a TSB for it as well. A buddy has the same issue right now.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
this is not a boss v shelby issue i am pretty sure. its a one off defective ride. its just as likely that this same mess could have turned up on your shelby had you gone that way.

sorry to hear about the mess you are in. i would tell them to replace the car.

86Fbody

Established Member
I also mentioned btw that I did lots of research on the forums and that many Bosses are having problems with the Crank Sensor - but they weren't having it.

His reply was "I prefer listening to the Ford Technical Hotline than following an online forum"

Though I can understand where the dealer is coming from I would have to disagree and I think you should as well, unless it ends up being that the VCT is acting up. These forums have a great amount of knowledge, including the issues that occur with these cars, and this seems to be a first for the Boss according to what I have read.

zzyzx

Established Member
I also mentioned btw that I did lots of research on the forums and that many Bosses are having problems with the Crank Sensor - but they weren't having it.

His reply was "I prefer listening to the Ford Technical Hotline than following an online forum"

Based on your codes, it may very well be a VCT issue, but the question then is - what about it is broken? Based the other thread I pointed you to, it could be a bad cam sensor connector. That's far more likely IMO that an actual physical issue in the VCT system.

Their comments on "online forums" are unfortunate. That said, bottom line is they think they found the issue, they are on the hook to repair it, and if it's still not working, then they are still have to fix it.

So, bottom line is you just need to have patience at this point and let them do their thing. That said, make a point of calling them everyday to get an update on progress/status.

Last edited:

SUFitness

Established Member
this is not a boss v shelby issue i am pretty sure. its a one off defective ride. its just as likely that this same mess could have turned up on your shelby had you gone that way.

sorry to hear about the mess you are in. i would tell them to replace the car.

Yeah I know what you mean, this could've happened to ANY car for that matter.

I'm more calm now, but when I drove it into the dealer the second time the car was in such 'limp' mode.. it was hard not to get buyers remorse and think about other cars.

Based on your codes, it may very well be a VCT issue, but the question then is - what about it is broken? Based the other thread I pointed you to, it could be a bad cam sensor connector. That's far more likely IMO that an actual physical issue in the VCT system.

Their comments on "online forums" are unfortunate. That said, bottom line is they think they found the issue, they are on the hook to repair it, and if it's still not working, then they are still have to fix it.

So, bottom line is you just need to have patience at this point and let them do their thing. That said, make a point of calling them everyday to get an update on progress/status.

I would think it's the sensor connector as well, though not sure how that would make the car lose power.
And yeah, I've been calling them couple times a day, but with this long weekend the earliest I'll hear back is Tuesday.. we'll see what happens.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
You guys that are saying return the car are nuts. When I had the VCT solenoid issues with my car It was doing the exact same thing. Replaced VCT solenoids and the car ran perfect. I know it sucks having a brand new car in the shop but they will fix it.

5ohpowa

Established Member
You guys that are saying return the car are nuts. When I had the VCT solenoid issues with my car It was doing the exact same thing. Replaced VCT solenoids and the car ran perfect. I know it sucks having a brand new car in the shop but they will fix it.

Exactly, i posted on here a few times when my car had a few issues right after i got it. I was bitching and moaning and even debated getting rid of it. Be patient, it has a warranty and now a record of your issues. Let them fix it and enjoy and if you have any other problems you always have the lemon law in a worst case scenario. Now if they damage something then by all means flip out,...been there lol

boss150

Established Member
Alot of us feel or have felt the same way you're feeling. I too was disappointed within only putting 200 miles on my Boss. The first time i actually ran it hard my display showed i lost power steering and traction control. I turned the key off and cranked the car back up and it was fine for a couple of miles, then it did it again while just driving normal. Repeated turning off and cranking car back up and it hasn't done it since. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what it could be?

bossman302

Banned
Man I feel your pain, and let me say, I have bought at least 20 New for Cars and trucks, 2 new 03 Cobras, 03 Mach 1, 2 new shelby's, and many more. To say I am sad to see all the problems the Boss has makes me want to cry. Out of all the Cars I have owned, the only issues I have ever had have been minor issues.

I recently bought a new Boss, a 2013, I surely Hope I do not have all the issues I am hearing about, All the new Mustangs I have bought have been quality cars, true body lines are sometimes not the best, but mechanically no issues!

Has Ford really let the Boss fall to this? Bad transmissions, No power, and No idea how to fix them? This worries me, if I have any issues with mine, It will be back and either replaced, or bought back. The boss is to much of an Icon to have all these issues if you ask me. Larry S would roll in his grave. Lets hope they get your LS fixed and out of a damn Nissan.

I can tell you, when my SGT had issues, I demanded a mustang as a loaner, and all be darn if I did not get a Brand new GT as a loaner for two weeks.

Boss949

Established Member

Whatever happened to your LS?

Mike444

Established Member
My 13 boss through a CEL at around 3,000 miles. Turned out to be a cam sensor code. Took it in, had their senior tech take a look, he called up Ford to get their take on it and authorization. Ford said lets try a sensor first, so far no CEL has come back. I have a little over 8,000 miles now. My experience could of been a nightmare if I didnt get someone that was worthy. Might be such a simple fix like mine, just takes the right person.

kbroush

Established Member
First of all if this was brand new and they had that many issues with it I would have zero tolerance in this case. I would return the car and offer them the chance to get another one.

Users who are viewing this thread