Loss of power after WOT

DC97Cobra

Established Member
2001 Cobra with 180k.

I have been having a weird issue lately where the car would shut down after running up to 6k rpm wide open throttle. Gear selection does not matter and seems to happen when I start the car and let it idle for 10 min or so.

Yesterday, I started the Cobra and let it warm up while checking missed calls after work. This was for about 10 - 15 minutes. Once I was done, i left work to get on the highway. As I was merging into traffic in 2nd gear, I sped up at WOT to 6k rpm. As I shifted from 2nd to 3rd, I lost all power and coasted to the side of the highway. After a few minutes of sitting, the Cobra restarted and drove like nothing was wrong. There were some codes thrown but forgot to write them down. I tries to duplicate with a scanner attached but the car pulled past 6k without an issue. Only difference is that the air conditioning was off and the car did not sit and idle. Going to try and replicate the issue again today but it seems to be intermittent.

shurur

Established Member
Without codes, or even better, a tuner/scanner to really monitor what is going on, it is just guessing.

I'll guess fuel pump is dying..or filter..but intermittent could point to pump..
You need to monitor the fuel pressure first..

Last edited:

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Sorry for the delay but it turned out to be the fuel pump. A couple weeks later, I went to go home from work and the slobra wouldn't start. Had no fuel pressure at the rails so that seemed to have settled the guesswork. Swapped the pump out and she is back up and running. Now to fix the weird idling issue.. Poor car is getting old and problems seem to be creeping up quite a bit more often. :(

shurur

Established Member
Sorry for the delay but it turned out to be the fuel pump. A couple weeks later, I went to go home from work and the slobra wouldn't start. Had no fuel pressure at the rails so that seemed to have settled the guesswork. Swapped the pump out and she is back up and running. Now to fix the weird idling issue.. Poor car is getting old and problems seem to be creeping up quite a bit more often. :(

glad to hear it.
sometimes you can thump on the trunk floor or the tank itself and the car will start.
this is how mine is right now..

yes..she is at the point of shedding parts or at her half-life.
I'm going through mine now too.

idling could be vacuum issue.
check the rubber hose off the TB on the passenger side.
It goes off into the fender well behind the strut tower and into the purge (whatever) valve.
The other end connects to the TB.
It will be cracked and crumbling.
It is 3/8" rubber hose that can be replaced with generic hose.
the plastic connectors with o-rings can be reused.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread