Loose hood vents?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I just picked up my 2016 PP GT Premium this weekend (LOVE the car) and I noticed today while running to the post office when it was really hot out that I could see the edge of the drivers side hood vent...and I didn't remember being able to spot that before. After I got home I took a look and sure enough, it's loose. The passenger side is snapped down nice and tight, but the drivers side I can lift right up.

I looked under the hood blanket, and the clips are there, and undamaged, but I can't press down on the vent far enough to get it to snap into place. What gives? Anyone else run into this? I wanted to check here before I brought the car in for a claim. If someone is going to break that thing trying to get it on, I'd rather it be the dealership. Unless there is some known fix...I tried searching but came up short.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Hmm, let me ask this another way. Has anyone taken these off yet? It looks like they are just held on with the two bolts up front, and 4 clips. None of the clips on mine are clicked in, so removal should be easy. I'm wondering if there is some foam tape on the bottom of these things and it happens to be bunched up on mine, preventing the vent from snapping down. Can anyone tell me if there is? If so, I'll remove it and make sure the tape is flush before I drive to the dealer and waste an afternoon.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Beuller?

No takers? *sigh*. Alright, a trip to the dealership it is. I suppose I may as well have them fix the trunk while its there.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Update;

So I'm impatient. I didn't bother visiting the dealership but instead watched a few video's of people swapping their vents out for the Roush vents or something else aftermarket. What I ended up doing was loosening the 9mm nuts, pressing down on the back and pressing in on the clip. This allowed the clip to catch. It apparently was *just* out of reach from catching when pressing alone, but pushing in on the clip then releasing allowed it to catch.

The question now is if it'll stay put. But for the moment, it appears to be fixed. If anyone else has this problem and finds this thread, try that. I'll try to remember to update this if mine doesn't stay down.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Update;

So I'm impatient. I didn't bother visiting the dealership but instead watched a few video's of people swapping their vents out for the Roush vents or something else aftermarket. What I ended up doing was loosening the 9mm nuts, pressing down on the back and pressing in on the clip. This allowed the clip to catch. It apparently was *just* out of reach from catching when pressing alone, but pushing in on the clip then releasing allowed it to catch.

The question now is if it'll stay put. But for the moment, it appears to be fixed. If anyone else has this problem and finds this thread, try that. I'll try to remember to update this if mine doesn't stay down.

Couldn't help because I haven't done anything with my vents. But welcome to the world of DIY problem solving.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Couldn't help because I haven't done anything with my vents. But welcome to the world of DIY problem solving.

LOL, thanks. I own a couple foxes, so I'm used to tearing stuff apart to fix issues. My wife tends to get upset with me when I tear a 3 day old car apart though, so I was looking for input before I just started into it. After I got none...well, I just did it. I hate going back to the dealership.

I'm going to go through the whole car this weekend and look for anything else that doesn't seem right. The car's dash rattled briefly after I left the gas station today too, so I may put that on my list of things to run down if I have time. More little issues that I would have expected for a brand new car, but so far they've all been nuisance items.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Update;

Honestly, sounds like Ford's quality control lately. I wouldn't expect it to pop back up, it probably wasn't seated at the factory.

PS: If you see an OW PP with jersey temp tags going down 301, 5 or 6 this weekend, that'll be me :thumbsup:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Honestly, sounds like Ford's quality control lately. I wouldn't expect it to pop back up, it probably wasn't seated at the factory.

PS: If you see an OW PP with jersey temp tags going down 301, 5 or 6 this weekend, that'll be me :thumbsup:

Goodie. lol. That would explain the mis-aligned trunk and the hood latch cable that wasn't clipped in. Although the trunk had already been adjusted once so that could have been the dealership at fault there.

Despite the nuisance issues, the car is fun to drive. I'm looking forward to getting through breakin so I can flog it a little. I'm trying to get used to the clutch as-is, because my wife likes it, but I dunno...that bounce mid arc is really strange to deal with. Anyway, I'll keep my eye out, I'd toss a rev your way but my exhaust is still stock so you wouldn't hear it, so I'll have to wave instead.

Mine is PP Guard, and if you happen to see one while going through the Laplata area, it's more than likely me.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I know what you mean about the clutch, compared to the marauder (which I imagine feels just like a terminator) it has virtually no feel. Hell, even my BMW takes more effort and I thought that was a light clutch. I'm always afraid I'm going to stall this car just from forgetting where the grab point is, it kinda just sneaks up on me. I've seen some people swap out the assist spring for one from steeda, I'm keeping tabs on that thinking if I'll want to do that or try and get used to how it feels as is.

I thankfully haven't had any panel gap issues or not fully installed issues (that I've found). I heard my glove box have an ever so slight rattle going to work this morning but I just opened/shut it and its been quiet since. So thats something I'll keep an ear to. Otherwise I think everything has been fine. Driving down to Maryland tonight will be a good shakedown.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I know what you mean about the clutch, compared to the marauder (which I imagine feels just like a terminator) it has virtually no feel. Hell, even my BMW takes more effort and I thought that was a light clutch. I'm always afraid I'm going to stall this car just from forgetting where the grab point is, it kinda just sneaks up on me. I've seen some people swap out the assist spring for one from steeda, I'm keeping tabs on that thinking if I'll want to do that or try and get used to how it feels as is.

I thankfully haven't had any panel gap issues or not fully installed issues (that I've found). I heard my glove box have an ever so slight rattle going to work this morning but I just opened/shut it and its been quiet since. So thats something I'll keep an ear to. Otherwise I think everything has been fine. Driving down to Maryland tonight will be a good shakedown.

I've been looking at that Steeda spring also. For 10 bucks I will probably end up giving it a shot, unless I get used to this clutch in the next few days.

I'm going to blame my panel problem on the dealership. The bolts had the paint knocked off of them so I think they were screwing around with the trunk for some reason. I fixed it myself, and it took me less than 10 minutes to get it properly aligned.

Funny you mention the glovebox, mine did exactly the same thing this morning, and I solved it exactly the same way. I figured I'd just failed to shut it properly after putting my EZpass on last night. Hopefully I'm about done finding little issues, the last new mustang I got (my 2011 GT) had zero problems, so I have been a little surprised by some of the stuff I've had to correct on this car.

Have you gotten used to the throttle yet? I find that when the car is cold (and not just mine, but all the ones I test drove too) the throttle feels a little "jumpy". I suspect it's just me getting used to driving a mustang again, I've been in a Focus ST the last 3 1/2 years.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I've been looking at that Steeda spring also. For 10 bucks I will probably end up giving it a shot, unless I get used to this clutch in the next few days.

I'm going to blame my panel problem on the dealership. The bolts had the paint knocked off of them so I think they were screwing around with the trunk for some reason. I fixed it myself, and it took me less than 10 minutes to get it properly aligned.

Funny you mention the glovebox, mine did exactly the same thing this morning, and I solved it exactly the same way. I figured I'd just failed to shut it properly after putting my EZpass on last night. Hopefully I'm about done finding little issues, the last new mustang I got (my 2011 GT) had zero problems, so I have been a little surprised by some of the stuff I've had to correct on this car.

Have you gotten used to the throttle yet? I find that when the car is cold (and not just mine, but all the ones I test drove too) the throttle feels a little "jumpy". I suspect it's just me getting used to driving a mustang again, I've been in a Focus ST the last 3 1/2 years.

I am the same way with the throttle honestly, this is the first car I've owned with drive by wire. It honestly feels a lot like driving my friends e39 m5, the gas pedal is so light that when I try to do very mild throttle input corrections, I just start jumping all over the place. It seems if I commit, I'm more smooth.

I am not surprised the dealer was messing with the trunk alignment, the 2015 roush S2 I test drove had the hood and trunk way off in alignment.

I also found some yellow stains on my back bumper under the trunk, I took it back to the dealer this morning and the detail guy made it somewhat better. However, in the process of using whatever compound he used, he scratched the hell out of the paint. Imagine doing a wet sand on a scratch and not going back to polish it, thats basically what its at. I'm going to go over it with 205 on a PC 7424XP and see if that fixes it. If I can't fix this, I'm going to go back to the dealer on monday and bitch at them for this.

This is basically why I didn't want the detailing department touching it at all, I never trust dealer detailing departments.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I am the same way with the throttle honestly, this is the first car I've owned with drive by wire. It honestly feels a lot like driving my friends e39 m5, the gas pedal is so light that when I try to do very mild throttle input corrections, I just start jumping all over the place. It seems if I commit, I'm more smooth.

I am not surprised the dealer was messing with the trunk alignment, the 2015 roush S2 I test drove had the hood and trunk way off in alignment.

I also found some yellow stains on my back bumper under the trunk, I took it back to the dealer this morning and the detail guy made it somewhat better. However, in the process of using whatever compound he used, he scratched the hell out of the paint. Imagine doing a wet sand on a scratch and not going back to polish it, thats basically what its at. I'm going to go over it with 205 on a PC 7424XP and see if that fixes it. If I can't fix this, I'm going to go back to the dealer on monday and bitch at them for this.

This is basically why I didn't want the detailing department touching it at all, I never trust dealer detailing departments.

I think it's the delay that gets you. You press the gas a little, nothing happens, you press it a little more, then the car does both. I'm sure I'll get used too it, I don't remember my 2011 GT giving me any throttle issues but it probably took me a week or so to get used to that car too and I just don't remember it.

Yellow stains? WTF? Any idea what from? I haven't hit mine with the PC yet..I specifically asked the dealership NOT to mess with the car, though they did pull all the plastic protection stuff off. I would have preferred if they hadn't, but at least they didn't coat the inside of the car with whatever grease they usually use and try to mess with the paint. The car needs a clay pretty badly, but fortunately there are no real swirl marks so I should be able to clay/seal/wax it over the weekend with minimal fuss. In fact, I'll probably start that tonight, so I'm not outside turning into a baked potato tomorrow. Good luck with the scratches...I thankfully haven't found anything like that yet. So far all my issues have turned out to be really quick fixes.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I think it's the delay that gets you. You press the gas a little, nothing happens, you press it a little more, then the car does both. I'm sure I'll get used too it, I don't remember my 2011 GT giving me any throttle issues but it probably took me a week or so to get used to that car too and I just don't remember it.

Yellow stains? WTF? Any idea what from? I haven't hit mine with the PC yet..I specifically asked the dealership NOT to mess with the car, though they did pull all the plastic protection stuff off. I would have preferred if they hadn't, but at least they didn't coat the inside of the car with whatever grease they usually use and try to mess with the paint. The car needs a clay pretty badly, but fortunately there are no real swirl marks so I should be able to clay/seal/wax it over the weekend with minimal fuss. In fact, I'll probably start that tonight, so I'm not outside turning into a baked potato tomorrow. Good luck with the scratches...I thankfully haven't found anything like that yet. So far all my issues have turned out to be really quick fixes.

Eventually I'm going to look into a tune to revamp the throttle mapping. I am waiting to see how people like the ford racing power packs, if its worth the cost to keep a warranty. If not, I'll look into an aftermarket tune once I get more miles on the car.

I did tell them to not touch the car but the sales guy was like "I had to have it washed, it was really dirty" which, he wasn't wrong. When I looked at it at the other dealer it had dirt and water spots all over. They thankfully didn't do anything inside or use any armor all anywhere.

Here are the spots I'm talking about, I was trying to see if anyone else had this issue but so far I can't find anything. The car had all the plastic on it when I saw it, so this was under the plastic.

20160721_194323-X3.jpg

Wait...I just noticed you posted Rt. 6. Where are you headed? I live off of 6.

My grandmother lives off Penns Hill Road in Dentsville and I have a friend who lives off Poorhouse Rd (thankfully not actually on poorhouse road, I imagine that street name was picked on purpose). So I'm usually going to/from down route 6. I have to get some of my old BMW parts out of his garage and into my grandmothers shed since he's doing some minor remodeling, then I'm going to borrow his detailing stuff to hopefully fix this bumper so I can call up the dealer on monday and tell them I was not happy with the detailing guy using rough cut compound and leaving it as is.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Eventually I'm going to look into a tune to revamp the throttle mapping. I am waiting to see how people like the ford racing power packs, if its worth the cost to keep a warranty. If not, I'll look into an aftermarket tune once I get more miles on the car.

I did tell them to not touch the car but the sales guy was like "I had to have it washed, it was really dirty" which, he wasn't wrong. When I looked at it at the other dealer it had dirt and water spots all over. They thankfully didn't do anything inside or use any armor all anywhere.

Here are the spots I'm talking about, I was trying to see if anyone else had this issue but so far I can't find anything. The car had all the plastic on it when I saw it, so this was under the plastic.

My grandmother lives off Penns Hill Road in Dentsville and I have a friend who lives off Poorhouse Rd (thankfully not actually on poorhouse road, I imagine that street name was picked on purpose). So I'm usually going to/from down route 6. I have to get some of my old BMW parts out of his garage and into my grandmothers shed since he's doing some minor remodeling, then I'm going to borrow his detailing stuff to hopefully fix this bumper so I can call up the dealer on monday and tell them I was not happy with the detailing guy using rough cut compound and leaving it as is.

Is there a ford power pack already? I looked for that on their site right after I got the car and didn't see one.

My sales guy told me the same thing. Then he left residue all over the damn place that I had to cleanup when I got home because he did a half ass job pulling stuff off. And that yellow spot is weird. Hard to see if the picture if it's some kind of left over residue from the plastic or something else.

Poorhouse eh? LOL, you'll be close. I live maybe a half mile or so from the entrance to that road off of 6, I'm on Simms Landing. I was going to check and see if they are going to hold a cars and coffee tomorrow at Casey's, I've never gone because I'm usually making the family breakfast on Saturday morning...but the wife and kids are going to be out of town for family stuff so I was thinking of swinging over there if they do. Depends on if I feel like getting up in the morning or not...don't often get the chance to sleep in kid free.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Is there a ford power pack already? I looked for that on their site right after I got the car and didn't see one.

My sales guy told me the same thing. Then he left residue all over the damn place that I had to cleanup when I got home because he did a half ass job pulling stuff off. And that yellow spot is weird. Hard to see if the picture if it's some kind of left over residue from the plastic or something else.

Poorhouse eh? LOL, you'll be close. I live maybe a half mile or so from the entrance to that road off of 6, I'm on Simms Landing. I was going to check and see if they are going to hold a cars and coffee tomorrow at Casey's, I've never gone because I'm usually making the family breakfast on Saturday morning...but the wife and kids are going to be out of town for family stuff so I was thinking of swinging over there if they do. Depends on if I feel like getting up in the morning or not...don't often get the chance to sleep in kid free.

Casey Jones, in town? They do cars and coffee events there??? Honestly I'd be down to check that out. Got any info on it?

Edit: I found the facebook page, I haven't seen them update since June. If you find out one is actually happening let me know and I'd drag myself out of bed for that.

Here is the power pack page, It lists S1, S2 and S3. I think S1 just became available.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Casey Jones, in town? They do cars and coffee events there??? Honestly I'd be down to check that out. Got any info on it?

Edit: I found the facebook page, I haven't seen them update since June. If you find out one is actually happening let me know and I'd drag myself out of bed for that.

Here is the power pack page, It lists S1, S2 and S3. I think S1 just became available.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8

Yeah I just saw that too, I was wondering why nothing had popped up in my feed for a while. I don't know if they are still active or not.

Thanks for the link. 7500 rpm eh? I guess the factory rev limiter is pretty conservative.

Users who are viewing this thread